Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Question about unlocking

Paolovee
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have an old phone, a Huawei Mate 10 Pro which was bought from Currys / Carphone Warehouse, so it was unlocked at the time.

Unfortunately I can't remember if this phone was first used with my previous provider (EE) or if I started using it with Vodafone.

So my question is: how do I know if this phone is locked on Vodafone, or if it's unlocked?

Also, assuming it's locked on Vodafone, how do I unlock it (Vodafone can't unlock phones purchased from 3rd party retailers)?

Thanks for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Paolovee 

Carphone Warehouse cannot lock phones, they buy them in as unlocked and you are free to use any other network SIM.  It's only iphones that lock to the network of the first SIM inserted in the phone, but thought Carphone/Curry's but thought that had stopped.

Try an alternative SIM in the phone, this will confirm the phone is unlocked.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Paolovee 

The process of iPhone's locking to the first sim inserted stopped years ago when people complained to Carphone Warehouse.

A phone that is unlocked to all network's or factory unlocked out of the box remains that way. Inserting any sim won't lock it to that network.

To unlock a phone that is locked to Vodafone a person just needs to use a Vodafone Payg sim card in the phone making calls etc for 30 days and then request the unlock code from Vodafone.

How-do-I-unlock-my-Vodafone-device-if-I-m-not-a-Vodafone-customer. 

So a person can check what the phones status is by using checkmend which costs a small fee or if you have a sim then insert it and if the phone displays 'No Service' instead of the networks name then it's locked to a particular network @Paolovee 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.