cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SIM used in phone for more than 30 days, but still unlock request denied with same reason

noftnocomment
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have been trying to request my phone be unlocked for weeks. Every time I send a request it is automatically denied with a generic email stating that I must use my sim in the phone for more than 30 days before I can request an NUC.

However, I have had my SIM card in the device and making calls/texts/data since 11th September, which is nearly 2 months now.

I have spoken to customer services multiple times, but each time they only fill the form out again, however promising this time it will work. But each time, it is automatically denied. One helpful customer service agent said that the IMEI of the device was not registered on the MSISDN database for some reason and that this was a mistake, but did not give any way of resolving the situation. Would anyone be able to give me some advice?

I’ve spoken to customer services a dozen times, each time being told a different thing, none of which is helpful or gets me any closer to an answer! It’s infuriating that the NUC Department is not front-facing so I am not able to get a straight answer from them.

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

If you meet the eligible criteria for unlocking then there's no reason for Vodafone to not be able to assist @noftnocomment 

Yes the Nuc department isn't customer facing but they do have an email address to use.

Maybe Ask customer service for it.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries  maybe able to help too.

The only other option people have found is to use a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phones although they will charge for this.

Some have used online unlocking companies which I personally don't recommend just incase something goes wrong.

You shouldn't however have to go down this route for unlocking after meeting the criteria.

ItIt my opinion that phones should be unlocked out of the box nowadays ! 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your swift reply!

Yes I've already asked customer services for the email address for NUC department, but they say they can't give it to me for some reason.

Tried contacting vodafone on social media chanels but no reply as yet.

I agree, I shouldn't have to go to a High Street Unlocking store for this since I meet the critieria, and I'm reluctant to do so on a matter of principle. Been with Vodafone for years and I'm really irritated by this level of service. It will definitely make me think twice about renewing my contract with them!

You're very welcome @noftnocomment 

If your not clear of three payments if your on a pay monthly contract even if you have upgraded then you'll have to fill out a new unlocking form when you have.

The other option is using a Vodafone payg sim card in the phone for 30 days making calls etc and then use the new Payg account info to request its unlock.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @noftnocomment, I can see you've contacted us via our social channels and someone's taking a look into your NUC for you 😊 Please continue to keep us updated and don't hesitate to pop back if you have any other questions. 

Hi TJ,

Thanks for getting in touch - unfortunately the social media service team is not responding, I have been just told "we're waiting for an answer from the Urgent Resolutions team", however this was on Wednesday, and I'm wondering what the timeframe of an Urgent Resolution is without any response...! I've been trying to resolve this issue for nearly 3 weeks now, through every communications channel possible, and as you can imagine it's getting rather frustrating to just be sent round in circles. Would you be able to give me an update?

Many thanks

TJ

I'm sure one of our team will be back in touch as soon as we have an update @noftnocomment. It can take anywhere from 2 to 10 days usually, for the NUC team to get back to us. Keep your eyes peeled, if you've not had an update after that time; get back in touch and we'll chase this up for you.

Please be aware that as you're unlocking an iPhone, you won't actually receive an NUC code (as Apple unlock their phones over the air). All you'll need to do is pop an activated SIM in from another network, then connect to iTunes or perform a system restore; once we've got the go ahead.

beightonguru
6: Helper
6: Helper

Theres a few points to add.

1. You must also have paid 3 clear payments on this device. Ie 3 paid bills and they cant be paid in advance (so if it was a new phone upgraded in september, it would be after your third bill on the new contract) If its an old device then obviously this doesn't apply and 2. You must have got it directly through vodafone not a third party like CPW or mobilesdirect as the phone wasnt supplied by vodafone the IMEI will not be on the system, so you need to go back to the supplier. If those are in order and what you've mentioned it shouldn't be rejected so keep persevering. 

AnnS

Sorry @beightonguru 

You must have got it directly through vodafone not a third party like CPW or mobilesdirect as the phone wasnt supplied by vodafone the IMEI will not be on the system, so you need to go back to the supplier. 

Only the network can unlock phones and if the SIM has been used on the network, the IMEI will be registered to the account.

Most phones come from third parties already unlocked, it's one advantage purchasing from a third party, also there are no network preinstalled applications or splashscreen on booting.  However, if a Vodafone phone is purchased, it will come locked no matter where it came from.