main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Unlocking

Struggling with unlocking my device...

2: Seeker

Here's the first response to an attempt online to unlock my device after more than twenty years a Vodafone customer..I'm told I need to have been a customer for more than three months!! Trying to get my old iPhone 7Max out of contract that I want to pass on to a family member...I've got my upgrade IPhone Xs, but just can't get an NUC number, even after third attempt through the email address nucsolutions..will Gov legislation stop this as in other countries like Canada, where mobile companies are now prevented by law from locking devices. 

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
17: Community Champion

Hi @Timbis1

Not a good Experience thus far. 

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone makes are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database. 

The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. 

If a person upgrades or takes out a new contract then it needs x3 payments on pay monthly to have been made on time. 

Alternatively on Payg a person needs to use be Payg sim card in the phone making calls etc for 30 days then they can request the unlock. 

Please Note when Vodafone reply that the unlock request has been accepted > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage. 

Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take approximately up to another 30 days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network. 

To complete the process please Periodically insert an active Alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process. 

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thank you for this. I do believe its another example of how the mobile phone industry in the UK has been allowed to   at worse rip off, at best inconvenience the consumer, in the drive to maintain profits and retain customers, whether they wish to be reatined or not. I understand that they don't want out of contract mobiles that the customer has bought being used to transfer to a rival provider. But it's completely wrong. You have paid for, and own the phone. The only benefit is to Vodafone that it is such an unbelievable hassle to own the rights to something you do actually own. Canada has launched legislation which means this is illegal now. I can only hope that the UK Gov does tha same, as they did over the extortionate roaming charges, and the costs of transferring a number you own between suppliers, nasties that have now been stopped by European wide legislation. The irony is that as a fed up consumer,  I remain a Vodafone customer, and have taken out a new contract for 24 months with an upgraded phone. Just hoping that in two years time, Vodafone will have done the decent thing and treat it's customers fairly by no longer locking their phones at contract start. Shape up Vodafone before legislation forces you...

View more options
Administrator

@Timbis1 Unlocking a phone should be a simple process, completed by filling out our online form here. I'm sorry that on this occasion it's not going through as smoothly as we'd like. 

So we're able to raise the unlock for you, please get in touch using the link in my private message

View more options

Hi, did you manage to get it unlocked by them at all?  I've been going round in circles since 15th May.  The last suggestion every phone call results in "send an email to"  I have had no response from any of these emails.  I have been out of mobile use for weeks now. This is just shocking and appalling.  The Vodaphone shop is no use,  You can see them physically backing off the minute you suggest (and I'm always pleasant and polite) that you've had no joy via phone.  Their response is:  "that isn't something we can do in store".

Any help out there?!

View more options
Highlighted

@Rinaradhia - I’m sorry you’ve been going around in circles. We can check what’s happening with our Network Unlock team for you. So we can take your details securely, please contact us through Facebook Private Message for Vodafone UK. If you don’t use Facebook, we’re also available through Twitter Direct Message.

View more options