Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Stuck on the process

mQ85
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a previous handset which I haven’t used since 2 years but I want to use it for my abroad number! I have followed all the steps and received an email confirming that all is in place but as I put my foreign SIM card the phone still saying no sim... any idea? Thank you 

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hello @mQ85 

Did you complete the unlock using the Nuc that Vodafone would have provided if your request was accepted while in the Uk using an alternativeUk Network Sim Card that was activated ?

I ask because Vodafone Uk cannot guarantee an unlock code will always work if a person isn't in the Uk when trying to unlock a phone.

Why....... I'm not sure of but that was what I was officially advised by Vodafone Uk.

Which model of phone are you using as some phones such as a Samsung also need a MCK Mastercode also known as an unfreeze code that is available via Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

If you insert another Uk Network Sim Card into the phone i.e not your foreign Sim Card does it accept the alternative Uk sim card ?

Or are you not in the Uk right now ?

If you are not then the alternatives are to try a Highstreet Store where you are that advertises they unlock phones for a fee.

Or pack the phone away and continue to try to unlock it when you return to the Uk.

Or send it to someone you know in the Uk and they use the Nuc you were given and send jt back or put a Vodafone Payg Sim card in the phone and use it for 30 days and then request the Nuc , use it and then send it back to you.

Sell the phone and buy one that'll accept your foreign sim card. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hello @bandofbrothers

thank you for your prompt reply! To be honest I am not too sure on the whole process! This phone that I would like to unlock wasn’t in use for a couple of years cause I did the upgrade! It’s a iPhone 5 SE. I came to Italy for a couple of months and I would like to get an Italian SIM card which I did and I followed the process to unlock the device! I received an email from Vodafone with no code but saying that all was done and I just needed to put the new sim in and restart the phone completing my iCloud, I message and face time details! Although completed ( I have erased the phone) was still saying NO SIM! caller the Italian provider and they will send a new sim! But not too sure anymore what went wrong 

AnnS

Hi @mQ85 

The first question to ask is the make of phone you are trying to unlock?

No SIM does not mean the phone is not unlocked, and this points to a phone error.  

If this is an iphone see here: Aplle Support - No SIM  

for Andrioid see here: How To Fix No SIM Card Error On Android 

There is no reason for an unlock not working when abroad, it is not network related and for Android the unlocking is prompted when the alternative SIM is placed in the phone.  You will also need an MCK master code to be entered into the phone before using the code.  For Apple, to complete the unlocking process, place an alternative SIM in the phone or synchronise to itunes.

thank you for your prompt reply! To be honest I am not too sure on the whole process! This phone that I would like to unlock wasn’t in use for a couple of years cause I did the upgrade! It’s a iPhone 5 SE. I came to Italy for a couple of months and I would like to get an Italian SIM card which I did and I followed the process to unlock the device! I received an email from Vodafone with no code but saying that all was done and I just needed to put the new sim in and restart the phone completing my iCloud, I message and face time details! Although completed ( I have erased the phone) was still saying NO SIM! caller the Italian provider and they will send a new sim! But not too sure anymore what went wrong 

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @mQ85 

So an iPhone is different as they can be unlocked while abroad as it's Apple that unlock the iPhone centrally. 

There is no Nuc.

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database.

So no actual Nuc is sent by Vodafone UK. 

The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too) 

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage when Vodafone email you. 

What happens is Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take Apple approximately from a few days upto a further 30+ days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network. 

To complete the process please periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process. 

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you so much for your help 

I have ordered a new sim let’s hope the new one will work smoothly