main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Unlocking

Unlock iPhone 6s Question

SOLVED
View solved solution
2: Seeker

I bought an sim free iPhone 6s a couple of years ago and have only just discovered that it is now locked to Vodafone! It must have locked it when the first SIM card was inserted. It is easy enough to get it unlocked but my question is: once it is unlocked will it get locked again on inserting a new SIM card? The reason is I am going to try several providers PAYG cards to test the signal strength in my home before deciding whether to keep Vodafone or move to another provider.

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@AncientMobUser You're absolutely right - we do advise it can take up to 10 working days in case we need to contact the manufacturer for the network unlock code (NUC). 
We'll usually unlock Apple phones without needing to send you a code, so we'll aim to do this as quickly as possible for you 😊

View more options
22 REPLIES 22
17: Community Champion

Hi @AncientMobUser

Once the iPhone has been unlocked to all networks it'll remain that way. 

It won't re lock out. 

SIM free iPhones bought from Apple never locked out. 

The iPhones supplied from for example Carphone Warehouse did. 

I'm.so glad this no longer happens to people's phones. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Thanks for that @BandOfBrothers

I suppose the next question is how long does it normally take (hopefully from somebody with real experience) to actually unlock the phone. I started the process on Friday (29 June) and received an email telling me it could take up to 10 working days. The last time (2 years ago) I requested an unlock from Vodadfone (also an iPhone) it only took 48 hours.

View more options

@AncientMobUser You're absolutely right - we do advise it can take up to 10 working days in case we need to contact the manufacturer for the network unlock code (NUC). 
We'll usually unlock Apple phones without needing to send you a code, so we'll aim to do this as quickly as possible for you 😊

View more options

Quick update for anybody finding this thread. When I tried this morning I found that the phone was unlocked. So it took less than 2 working days to complete. No code received, it unlocked without it using my Apple ID.

View more options

That's great to hear @AncientMobUser - thanks for updating the thread, we really appreciate it 

If we can help with anything else in the future, please don't hesitate to pop back on to the Community!

View more options

I have requested an unclock for iphone 6s and filled a form. Next day received an email saying that the process is almost complete and I just need to insert my non-Vodafone sim. This didn’t work. It’s quite frustrating as my phone is still locked. What could I do?

View more options

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems getting your phone unlocked @Mum06.

To complete the unlocking process - please insert a non-Vodafone SIM into the device, then connect it to iTunes or perform software restore.

Please let us know if this works and don't hesitate to pop back to us if not, we'll be happy to investigate further. 

View more options

Hi there, 

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion, plugged it into iTunes, restored my phone and still didn't work. It gives me a message saying: "The SIM you have installed in this iPhone is from a network provider that is not supported under the activation policy currently assigned by the activation server.....

It's a same message I get if I put a Vodafone sim into an iPhone locked to another network.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Tatjana

View more options

I have an iPhone 6s but can't get it unlocked. Customer services say I should put a new sim in for 30 then fill in a form online and it could take another 30 days this is after they said on another call that it would be done and I would get an email. Getting no help from anyone, sooo frustrated

View more options

Hi @Mum06 if you're still having problems unlocking your phone, we can chase this up with our designated team. Please send us your information by following the private message I've sent you. 

View more options

Hi We're having exactly the same problem with an iphone 6s when trying to put a New Zealand sim card into the phone. The phone was bought at carphone warehouse and a vodafone sim card put in it about 2.5 years ago. We have just moved to NZ and experience all the problems mentioned in this thread. I don't see how the itunes can help but several people from vodafone uk have suggested that route. the only problem is that when putting in a nz sim car it says Sim card not valid. The sim card currently installed in this iphone is from a service provider that is not supported on the under activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server..... etc it also says later on that this phone needs to be unlocked by the service provider i.e. vodafone uk. .... However, they say it is, like most iphones, already unlocked.  Any help to resolve this so we can use the phone in NZ with a local sim card would be greatfully received. 

View more options

Sorry yo hear you have the same issue. I get exactly the same message. It almost feels like Vodafone are deliberately messing me around just to get my money. Will definitely not be joining their network again.

View more options

If you've already completed our Network Unlocking Code (NUC) request form @Mum06 and your phone still appears locked to Vodafone, please get in touch by following the link in the private message I've sent and we'll be happy to look into this for you.

I've also sent a private message to you @jkiwi. If you contact us through the link, we'll be happy to look into the issue you're experiencing when trying to unlock your phone. As you've advised that you're currently in New Zealand, I need to advise you that we're unable to guarantee your NUC being successful if you're not connected to a UK network.

View more options

I am still waiting for my iPhone 6s to br unlocked. I has been a month now, not good enough.

View more options
Highlighted

Apologies for this taking longer than expected @Mum06. When you're unlocking an iPhone you won't receive an unlock code as you do with Android phones, your phone will be unlocked by an update to your iTunes account. To complete the unlocking process, pop a non-Vodafone SIM into your phone and resync it with iTunes. If you've done this and your phone is still locked to our network, please reply to the last email your received after contacting us through the private message we sent and we'll take another look into this for you.

View more options

Hi Mark

Thanks for this update on how to get the iPhone 6s working. I have installed iTunes on a laptiop and my wife has logged into this with her AppleID.  I've put a non-Vodafone SIM card into the iPhone and connected it to the PC running iTunes.  However, the same message about the SIM card not being valid appears in the iTunes window and no syncing occurs.  Previous to this I synced with the Vodafone sim card and all worked correctly.

Clearly something odd is going on here. What else can I try?

View more options

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the reply. I have done all of the above, few times.  The last email I had was from someone called Raymond, who said the phone had been unlocked. However, if there is no sim in the phone, it tells me that the carrier has been updated, but when I insert the Tesco sim, the same message comes up ( see below). I contacted Aple just to make sure, when they checked on the system, it showed that my phone is still locked to Vodafone. Clearly, the problem is at Vodafone. First, I find there is a lot of miscommunication going on and it seems like lots of peaople in Vodafone don't actually know what they are doing; I keep receiving emails from different people taking me back to square one.  It has been more than a month and it's frustrating so I might need to take this to the next level.

View more options

Just wanted to say that after all that, my phone has been successfully unlocked. Thank you for your support.

View more options

@Mum06 that's awesome news 🎉 You know where to find us if you need help with anything else in the future!

View more options