main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Unlocking

Unlock iPhone 6s

SOLVED
View solved solution
3: Seeker

Hi. My iPhone 6s is saying sim not supported 3 days after receiving an email from Vodafone to say it is unlocked.

Vodafone stores can't help, apple say speak to Vodafone. Online chat support send me in circles.

I'm fed up and frustrated and missing business so ready to buy a new phone and never touch Vodafone or apple again. Any ideas please?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
17: Community Champion

I agree it can be a tad confusing when you recieve an email from Vodafone as it sounds as tho the iPhone is then unlocked @Jimbob1

Apple won't engage with a person to unlock a branded iPhone so they may not be able to fully advise. 

From my own experience and that of past posts it can take Apple sometimes up to 30 days to unlock so yes it's a case of periodically inserting an active non Vodafone SIM card and see. 

Personally I think it's about time that phones were supplied unlocked as unlocking can be a painful experience sometimes.

Vodafone in the case of iPhones have no involvement in unlocking. 

Its always Apple and their Database. 

To add balance I used iPhones for years and it can depend on who you talk to at Apple.

Most agents are outsourced call centres where advice can be let's say a little patchy sometimes and not all together 100% correct. 

I remain Payg so I buy my phone's unlocked due to not having to then unlock them or have network bloatware on them or sometimes having to wait a little longer for firmware updates. 

Just my choice. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @Jimbob1

he Vodafone Network typically lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your online unlock request which j see has happened. 

The iPhone isn't actually unlocked at this stage.

Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.

To complete the process Please Periodically insert an active Alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone and hooking up to iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older.

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your help.

So periodically for what could be the next 30 days I have to insert a sim and hope for Apple to at some stage unlock my phone without notifying me? That's really rubbish! Surely it cant be that difficult.

Also apple store and chat have told me otherwise so difficult to know what to believe!

Time to buy a new phone then and keep away from them if that is their customer service.

If making this process deliberately  difficult is an attempt to discourage unlocking it has backfired as all its doing is discouraging me from using their products full stop.

View more options

I agree it can be a tad confusing when you recieve an email from Vodafone as it sounds as tho the iPhone is then unlocked @Jimbob1

Apple won't engage with a person to unlock a branded iPhone so they may not be able to fully advise. 

From my own experience and that of past posts it can take Apple sometimes up to 30 days to unlock so yes it's a case of periodically inserting an active non Vodafone SIM card and see. 

Personally I think it's about time that phones were supplied unlocked as unlocking can be a painful experience sometimes.

Vodafone in the case of iPhones have no involvement in unlocking. 

Its always Apple and their Database. 

To add balance I used iPhones for years and it can depend on who you talk to at Apple.

Most agents are outsourced call centres where advice can be let's say a little patchy sometimes and not all together 100% correct. 

I remain Payg so I buy my phone's unlocked due to not having to then unlock them or have network bloatware on them or sometimes having to wait a little longer for firmware updates. 

Just my choice. 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

Thanks for that, first good advice I've received on this.

Yep the email from Vodafone needs to be clearer about the situation, look at the number of posts on this forum to see the confusion it is causing.

Apple should be more honest too, as if I'd known it could take 30 days I wouldn't have been on a wild goose chase for the past week without a phone.

Right I'm off to buy an unlocked Samsung then!

View more options
Highlighted

You're very welcome for my reply @Jimbob1

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy s8 phone and it's from Samsung so it's unlocked and bloatware free. 

The Samsung Galaxy s9 is nice too.

Good luck with your choice. 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

@Jimbob1 You've had some really great advise from @BandOfBrothers there! The only thing I would add, if you've not tried this already; is that you need to connect to iTunes with an active SIM inserted from your new provider. You can do this, or preform a system restore to complete the unlocking process.

Best of luck 👍 Don't hesitate to pop back to us if you have any further questions, we'll be more than happy to help in any way we can.

View more options

Thanks, oh yes I've tried connecting to iTunes and doing a system restore and the guy in the apple store did a system restore for me too!

No bananas on that one, I'm afraid.

Looking forward to getting an s8 instead and popping off a complaint or two about misleading emails and support.

You guys here have been most helpful though 👍

View more options