Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock using NUC

johnmanning
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have put a vodafone SIM used before, into a phone from a relative, a Motorola Moto E3, used on o2 previously.

Initially the sim needed a code, so vodafone gave me the PUK code, which works.  However, it says that the Sim slot is permanently locked

Vodafone advised to get NUC code from o2, which I have.  But I don't know how to enter it.  When I restart the phone, it asks for the SIM pin, each time, but there is no prompt for a NUC.

Please can someone help.

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @johnmanning 

As the phone is locked to o2 you'll need to follow their directions on how to enter their unlocking code.

You'll find help pages on o2's website.

However if the phone is " permanently locked  " i.e hardlocked due to the code being entered too many times then you'll need to have the phone sent off by o2 to have it's counter reset.

Vodafone can't help with that I'm afraid.

It's not going to be a fast avenue to get the phone sent off by o2 by the original owner, have it's counter reset and then sent back and then use the o2 unlocking code.

You may want to consider selling the phone and buy one that's either unlocked to all networks or locked to Vodafone.

Of course that's your decision to make. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @johnmanning 

There is some confiusion here as to whether you are referring to a SIM PIN or a NUC.  A SIM PIN is entirely different from a NUC unlock code and is a four digit code used to protect your SIM from unauthorised use when the phone is turn on. If the phone is asking for a SIM PIN, this will be because you have entered an incorrect SIM PIN and locked the SIM slot.

Although the phone was originally used on the O2 network, it may have been an unlocked phone, this is the reason you were able to use a Vodafone SIM after entering the PUK provided by Vodafone.  If the SIM slot is now locked, the PUK is SIM related and your will need a replacement new SIM for Vodafone and possibly O2.

When you have the replacement SIM cards, I would recommend changing the SIM PIN, the default PIN should be 0000.

Please see these links: 

What is a SIM PIN? 

Phone unlock PIN 

At least obtaining a replacement SIM card will be something Vodafone will be able to help with.

edited to add:  If the phone was locked to O2, you would have been unable to use any other SIM and would have received a message when inserting the Vodafone SIM similar to SIM network unlock PIN.

Sorry for causing confusion

So to clarify:

I put a pre-used vodafone sim, from my son's old phone, into my fathers old Motorola moto e3, used on o2.

It asked for a sim password, which I failed to guess.

Vodafone gave me the PUC, which worked, and I reset the sim pin on the new phone

However, when I tried to make a call it says 'sim slot permanently locked'

Vodafone chat advised me to get a NUC from O2, which I have obtained. However, that advice may not be relevant.

Each time I turn on the phone now, it asks for the sim pin, which I enter, and works.  So the phone boots, but I can't make calls,  When I try to make a call, it asks for the sim pin, which I enter, but then it says 'the slot has been permanently locked'

Have you considered backing up and factory resetting the phone @johnmanning  ?

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈.

Current Phone  >

Yes, I've done that when I first received it and then subsequently as well when I had the sim lock issue.  I think the vodafone advice to get a NUC was probably not relevant as the issue is that the sim slot is locked.  O2 have suggested getting a new vodafone sim so I guess I'll try that.

Ok @johnmanning let us know how you get on.

If you haven't already look to turn the sim pin off in the phone if you haven't already.

Good luck.

Current Phone  >

AnnS

Hi @johnmanning 

Factory  resetting won't  help when the SIM  is locked, you need  a new replacement Vodafone  SIM and possibly also a replacement O2 SIM. 

This should  solve the problem. 

Come back to the forum, would be interested to  know if this works  for you.

Hi, so I have a new sim from vodafone.  Inserting that is fine, but it says the network is unavailable and when I try to make a call, it still reverts to 'sim slot is permanently locked'- so no change from the message that I had with the original sim that I tried to use.