Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking Iphone 6s

Wonderrabbit
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I was given an Iphone 6s locked to Vodafone.  I read that I had to get a sim for 30 days before i could get it unlocked for EE network.  So I got the sim and following the 30days and more I contacted Vodafone and they said that the phone was already unlocked.  I've been trying the EE sim now for months and still no joy! I've had this phone and sim now for 12 months. What do I have to do to get it unlocked, this is absolutely ridiculous! Why is there no straight answer when so many people have this issue?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Wonderrabbit 

I have been puzzzling over this problem and I have to ask : 

Are you absolutely sure this is a 6S?  The reason I ask is only the 6S comes as unlocked from Vodafone, all other models need to be unlocked.

Also where did your relative get the phone?

You would also have restored the phone by synchronising to your Apple account.

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers

Can you ask the original owner who originally supplied them the iPhone and if they've ever asked Vodafone to unlock it or have they tried an online site or Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock iPhones @Wonderrabbit 

What does it say in the iPhones status bar when you insert the ;EE sim card ?

Vodafone would check its serial number to check the iPhones status.

You can use checkmend.com/uk  or even ask Apple what it's status is.

Apple can't actually help you however with unlocking a phone from a network.

Usually if a person uses a Vodafone payg sim card in the phone making calls etc then thats enough to pass the criteria to unlock.

Hook up to iTunes with the EE sim card in to see if that helps.

If you hit a brick wall then try the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help.

"Can you ask the original owner who originally supplied them the iPhone and if they've ever asked Vodafone to unlock it or have they tried an online site or Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock iPhones"

As Vodafone have stated that the phone is unlocked does that not negate the need for this?

So I reset the phone completely and put the EE sim in it said:

SIM not supported

The sim card you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a network provider that is not supported under the activation policy currently assigned by the activation server.  This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone.  Please insert another SIM card from a supported network provider or request this iPhone be unlocked by your network provider.  Please contact Apple for more information.

When it was all set up under the Vodafone sim card and I put the EE sim in it said no service.

I have never put any codes in to unlock this phone as when I requested the code it said that it was already unlocked.  

The guy that gave me the phone is a very busy businessman so presumably the phone came from a business contract, which is why I wondered if being a business contract would be an issue?

I only put £10 on the phone as I have my own EE contract but balance is almost gone now.  I don't understand why something that would seem to be so easy i.e. changing a sim card is so complicated.  Sorry I'm not very 'techie' what does the CheckMend information tell me if I do it?

AnnS

Hi @Wonderrabbit 

If you are trying to unlock an iphone 6S, it will already be unlocked, this will be confirmed for you on this link:How to use your Network Unlock Code

If you choose Apple and enter iphone 6S in the box you will receive this message

Your device is already unlocked. To use it on a different network, just insert a non-Vodafone SIM. Then follow any on-screen instructions to set up features like iCloud and FaceTime. 

Try an alternative SIM card other than the EE SIM in the phone.

Is there are any problems with the phone you will need to take this up with the person who gave you the phone.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I will try another PAYG sim in it.

As far as I know the Phone is fine, the guy that gave me the phone is actually my Sister's bro in law hes a very busy businessman and I didnt want to disturb him really but if I dont get any luck on here then I may have to or just get another phone! :OS

63johnw

Hi @Wonderrabbit  definitely worth tryin a new active sim in to rule that out, sounds like a sim fault to me. 

AnnS

@Wonderrabbit 

Have you ever tried an active Vodafone SIM in the phone to see if it works?

The other sugggestion is to make sure your relative has not entered any security codes on the phone to prevent use with an alternative SIM.  The phone would also have needed to be removed from any Apple account.  

edit. Ignore the Vodafone SIM you would have already done this.

AnnS

Hi @Wonderrabbit 

I have been puzzzling over this problem and I have to ask : 

Are you absolutely sure this is a 6S?  The reason I ask is only the 6S comes as unlocked from Vodafone, all other models need to be unlocked.

Also where did your relative get the phone?

You would also have restored the phone by synchronising to your Apple account.

Wow I feel like such a ##~## now!

I took the information off the box he gave it me in but you asking if it is a 6s I checked from the back of the phone and online it says its a 6 A1586 - iPhone 6 (2014) The IMEI no. is wrong aswell :Worried_Face:  What a plank! i just never thought to check that it was the right box.  I'm so sorry to trouble everyone.  Thank you so much for your help I'll see if I can do it this time :Fingers_Crossed: 

AnnS

Gosh @Wonderrabbit 

No need to feel awful about it, an easy mistake when you took the information from the box.

Anyway glad it's solved, it was really puzzling me, if it was a 6S you would have had no problem using your EE SIM and would only have need to download the EE carrier settings.

@Wonderrabbit  you have used a Vodafone SIM in the phone for 30 days, complete the form here Unlock Code Request Form with the correct make and model and IMEI number.  Please remember it can take approx 30 days before Apple get around to processing the unlock on their database but will probably be sooner, just keep trying your EE SIM in the phone until you get the unlocked message.

Problem solved !

If you need any further help please come back to the forum.