Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlocking an iPhone

Phoneuser99
3: Seeker

I’ve taken two phones with me on my travels abroad (iPhone SEs). Unfortunately, my main phone suffered some water damage and is currently unusable. My back up phone is not unlocked and was my sister’s old phone. I requested an unlock code 3 hours ago but have yet to receive an email verification or confirmation. When I requested with my old phone in July it took less than an hour for the email to come. How long can it usually take for a verification to come?

My vodafone SIM has been in the phone since the end of August so it should not be an issue, right?

8 REPLIES 8

redpages
17: Community Champion

The request submission page on Vodafone's website mentions ten days, although it can vary. The last time I unlocked an iPhone it took about four days. More about the process is explained on this topic

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

Thank you, I will wait 24 hours for my email verification but if that doesn't appear in my inbox/spam I'll retry.

Phoneuser99

I've just recieved an email from vodafone telling me that my backup phone (iPhone SE) cannot be unlocked because the SIM has not been used for 30 days or more within that device. The only problem is I'm abroad in a non-overseas roaming country so I will have to pay extra to use it. Is there anyway to get it unlocked as I will need it for the few next months?

And also the bot on the contact us chat won't respond to any of the messages I send.

As far as I can see the choices are is to send it back to the uk to someone you know and they use a sim in it for 30 days i.e a Vodafone payg and then request its unlock using the new Vodafone payg info or look for a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock iPhones although that would come at a cost to you and sometimes a phone can have issues when trying to use another sim as they force unlock it.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Phoneuser99 

Unless the phone has been used with a Vodafone SIM for 30 days, you haven't got a chance of getting the phone unlocked by Vodafone.

The country you are in should be able to provide an unlocked phone, much cheaper than paying the daily charge with Vodafone.

Hi @AnnS

According to the first text I recieved on this phone, my SIM has been in the phone since August the 24th, which is more than 40 days. Although I have had the Mobile Data setting turned off, so that might be it?

If a person has been using the Vodafone sim card by making calls and sending texts that should be enough to latch the phones info to the Vodafone account.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Phoneuser99 

If you have used the phone for the odd calls during the 30 day period you should meet the criteria, it's only when the SIM has been in the phone without any activity.

I would follow this link and speak to the Team on the forum for account access: Contact Us