main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Unlocking

Unlocking/debranding

Highlighted
2: Seeker

This may well be covered elsewhere but I can't find the information

I have a Samsung Galaxy A3 bought via contract from Vodafone. I have just switched to EE (SIM only) and have unlocked the phone (or at least the new SIM is working). Issue is that I can no longer enable wifi calling and the option isn't even on the options any more (it was fine with the Vodafone SIM). I have had long discussions with EE and Samsung but the issue seems to be with some underlying Vodafone "firmware" that has disabled this feature as I do not have a Vodafone SIM. Does that sound correct?

If so, how to I remove this block so that I can get this feature again? I've paid through the contract so the phone is totally mine and this is stopping a basic feature of the phone.

Any help/suggestions gratefully received

View more options
1 REPLY 1
17: Community Champion

Asking for a Nuc to unlock the phone to all networks is great as it allows a person to use any network sim card in it @AndrewRL

However as Vodafone supplied the phone directly to you it will have Vodafone's brand of android firmware on it.

It's still a branded phone.

This maybe hindering network features on another network. It's rare but possible.

If you download the phoneinfo app from Playstore it will show you what version of firmware is on it.

There is a process to install another firmware on the phone and it involves putting a Custom Rom on it.

This has the potential to debrand it.

Sites such as xdadevelopers holds good tutorials and members there who can help and guide a person.

A person can put a Samsung firmware on it with a Btu csc code or put a specific network firmware on it.

However first learn of the pros and cons of doing such a procedure please. 

A person doing this does so at their own sole responsibility knowing that a phone can be put Into an unusable state and possible manufacturing warranty being voided.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options