main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Unlocking

Unlocking iPhone 6s

2: Seeker

Hello, I recently bought an iPhone 6s off a family member. My family member had the phone unlocked by Vodafone however when I put my gift gaff sim in it was not recognised. I brought it into Vodafone store but they no longer unlock phones. I have now signed up for Pay as you go for a month and have recieved my Vodafone sim however I am still getting the sim invalid message when using a Vodafone sim. Any help would be appreciated 

View more options
6 REPLIES 6
17: Community Champion

Hi @Pato90

Is the Vodafone sim card your using activated which should happen as soon as you insert it into a phone that'll accept it. 

I’ve just joined Vodafone on Pay as you go

Good news – you don’t need to activate your SIM as it should already be active

Pop your SIM into your device and switch it on – see our device guides for instructions if you need guidance on how to do this 

Wait for your phone to display a signal and the Vodafone symbol – this can take up to 24 hours but is usually much quicker "

Can you try the payg Vodafone UK sim card in another phone that you know accepts it and or try your GiffGaff sim card in another phone to see if it works ok.

If the iPhone was supplied by Vodafone then it will be locked to Vodafone but should accept any Vodafone sim card.

Vodafone High street Stores do not deal with unlocking phones.

Can you check with your family member that the phone hasn't been imei blocked.

It would show as No Service in the top status bar if this was the case.

How about asking the family member to fill out the unlocking online form to have it unlocked ?

Do you have another Vodafone sim card you could use as the one you have maybe faulty or pick one up in a Vodafone Highstreet Store.

Once a person manages to use the Vodafone Payg sim card for 30 days making calls etc then they can request the iPhones unlock.

Customer service might be able to help and they can be contacted via the avenues in contact-us.

Tip >

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting a Nuc {unlocking code} like other phone models are, but instead is unlocked remotely by Apple themselves and their Database. 

The Vodafone Network lets a person know by email it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your Nuc online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too) 

Please Note > The iPhone isn't actually usually unlocked to all networks at this stage. 

Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take approximately up to another 30 days sometimes from Vodafone's email to complete an unlock request made by a Network. 

To complete the process please Periodically insert an active i.e. connects to mobile network data, alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone with hooking upto iTunes is only typically needed if its an iPhone 4 or older although it wouldn't harm to do so. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process. 

When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

If you are trying to unlock a 6s, it will already be unlocked. 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/unlocking-your-phone/how-do-i-use-my-nuc/

All you need will be an activated alternative network SIM. 

View more options
2: Seeker

Hi, thank you for your reply,

the vodafone sim payg is working as I put it in my old iPhone 5 and it worked fine, however when put into iPhone 6s Plus it comes up as ‘sim not supported’. It does come up as no service when the ‘sim not supported’ message is displayed so perhaps it has been imei blocked as you mentioned. Would this mean I would be unable to unlock it?  The giffgaff sim is also working fine. I must say my family member lives in Republic of Ireland and had it unlocked by Vodafone Ireland, I am currently living in England and sim is Vodafone uk, would this make a difference?

the reason behind getting the Vodafone payg sim was to have it unlocked in 30 days. The Vodafone website says that iPhone 6s Plus are unlocked but it is not accepting any SIM cards. 

Thsnk you for your tips, they seem very helpful. It seem like a very over complicated process to unlock phones

View more options

Hi @Pato90

If it is Vodafone Ireland you will need to post on the Vodafone Ireland Community where you will get better support. they may have different terms for the 6S unlock.

You will also need a Vodafone Ireland SIM to use in the phone for 30 days.

Vodafone Ireland Community

If you have not already tried synchronising to itunes with the GiffGaff SIM this may be worth a try, if your relative has had the phone officially unlocked by Vodafone Ireland it should still be unlocked.  The phone will relock when the IOs has been updated if the unlock was not officially done through the network and has been done through a third party.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @Pato90

You're very welcome. 

If your family member has had the iPhone unlocked it will accept any network sim card you put into it no matter where you are. 

The other solution would be to try a highstreet shop that advertises they unlock phones but there would be a charge levied.

Vodafone UK won't be able to unlock an iPhone that was previously locked to another Vodafone branch tho.

Can you ask your family member to confirm how they arranged for it to be unlocked as it can take up to 30 days from Vodafone advising it's been unlocked as Apple carry out the process from their end. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

@Pato90

I have found this information from Vodafone Ireland.  As mentioned they advise restoring your iphone to itunes where it will then be unlocked.  Hopefully this will be all that will be be needed for you to use the GiffGaff SIM.

Vodafone Ireland Unlock Request

View more options