main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Unlocking

Unlocking

2: Seeker

I successfully unlocked my iPhone SE over a year ago but recently cannot use roaming data from my current provider EE. Although I can still make and receive calls an error message appears when I try to go online. I suspect some elements of the Vodafone software are still embedded that may be interfering with the new provider. Is there any way of checking this out?

View more options
9 REPLIES 9
17: Community Champion

It won't be any network bloatware or software as the iPhone is one exception as Apple don't allow Vodafone interference in their iOS. 

You could have the phone looked at via an Apple Store Genius Bar.

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in another phone and also check your network app or account to ensure no roaming bars are activated and also check the connection settings in the iPhone too. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Hi @Denis1949

If the phone has been unlocked over a year ago and working perfectly until recently, this will be a network issue at your network providers end and you will need to take this up with them at account level.

If you post on the EE Community forum they will advise further and you should get a good response from the EE Community.  

View more options

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Will contact EE and see what they say.

View more options

Thanks. Will give this a try as well.

View more options

Hi @Denis1949

Your best bet would be to contact EE and ask them to check your account, these things usually turn out to be something simple.

View more options

@Denis1949 wrote:

Thanks. Will give this a try as well.

Hope all goes well for you @Denis1949

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Hi again,

Following everyone’s advice (many thanks, by the way), I have narrowed the problem to the unlocking of the phone. I contacted my provider EE and they checked out everything from their end. All was as it should be. The last bit of advice they gave me was to do a full restore using iTunes. This I have done, but the problem persists. I have checked the EE sim on my wife’s phone and it works fine - so nothing to do with the network provider or sim. I then had the idea of trying a Vodafone sim and it worked perfectly! So it appears there is a bit of Vodafone still lingering in the phone that is stopping it being fully unlocked. I guess I will have to take it to a Vodafone store, unless anyone else has a better suggestion?

View more options
Moderator (Retired) Joe
Moderator (Retired)

@Denis1949 As long as you've got all of EE APNs on the iPhone settings, the roaming should work fine. If you can use both SIMs in the phone does the roaming work with the Vodafone SIM? Joe

View more options

Hi Joe,

Both sims allow the phone to operate correctly, with the exception that data can only be downloaded via the Vodafone one.

I hope to get to a Vodafone shop tomorrow and see if they can offer a solution.

Cheers,

Denis

View more options