Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone won't unlock iphone 6

angelamarie
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

WE ARE STUCK AND VODAFONE CAN'T SEEM TO HELP UNLOCK IPHONE 6. After dozens of calls to vodaphone, in an effort to unlock an iphone 6 they have not unlocked the phone. Recently, my mom and I moved to sky. It took me less than a week to unlock my iphone 7plus but is taking much longer for my mom. She called vodafone to unlock on about the 1st of January this year (before I did). They later sent a message after this call saying they weren't able to unlock the phone because the IME number was wrong. So a follow up call was made on the 7th of January to resolve the issuse. On top of this about 4 attempts to unlock it online too were made. Then vodafone said my mom hasn't had her sim in for at least 30 days- when she has had her vodafone SIM for about 3 years. Each time we tried to get help was an excuse as to why the phone couldn't be unlocked.  My mom tried going in store and explaining this frustrating issue and they said they couldn't resolve it in store and suggested calling 191.  So my mom called them AGAIN. From the call, one member of staff apologised and said my mom's phone can't be unlocked as the back office had written a letter saying so. But this didn't make sense to my mom as both our phones are second hand, why would hers not work while mine did if being second hand was an issue.  (which was the reason that had been put forward for her phone not being unlocked). Today we have spent hours of going back and forth and around in circles calling vodafone to unlock the phone and still no progress has been made. Each time we called we have had a different excuse. We have tried contacting apple as advised, and apple did everything they could and told us they couldn't unlock it because it was locked on vodafone's end. We also were advised to use itunes (by vodafone) and still the message that the new SIM wasn't supported came up. We were also told (by vodafone) that the iPhone 6 was already unlocked. Still no progress. Again we called and were told to try insert an EE or O2 sim (not the most practical tip- because noone in our house currently uses EE). Their reason was that the issue is with the sky sim and not actually vodafone. Luckily we found and EE sim and after inserting it we got the exact same message about the sim not being supported. 

This has been frustrating and tedious to say the least. We are not getting a straightforward answer on whether or not the phone is unlocked and they seem not to be able to help us. 

Right now we stand so confused and unclear about what the honest case is and its frustrating because my mom needs her phone to be working now. Not only can she no longer use her old vodafone sim but her sky sim (and any other one) won't work until the phone has been unlcocked. 

We have looked online and seen that we aren't the first people to be in this frustrating situation. Others have tried helplessly to unlock their iphones for months. 

I hardly ever have time to make customer reviews and comments but this has been such a trapping and disappointing issue that remains unresolved still today (and its the 18th of January now). It is frustrating to know that vodafone can't resolve your issues and they didn't give any warnings of such issues beforehand. However what fuels the frustration is that they can't even give us clarity on what exactly is going on. Is the phone unlocked? Is it not? 

For reference' sake, the message that comes up when we use another sim, use her sky sim, use my own sky sim, use itunes, reset the phone in settings is; 

"SIM not supported

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is form a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

Again- all I would like is for the phone to be unlocked. It was such a smooth process with my iphone 7 but there seems to be a complication that needs serious revising when it comes to iPhone 6 models. Please would you take this into consideration.

Right now we are waiting for a call back as one of the customer service as they are still trying to help us with the matter at hand. 

1 REPLY 1

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @angelamarie - thanks for getting in touch. We'll need to access your account to help get your phone unlocked - please contact our team via Facebook, or get in touch on Twitter. You can find more information on doing this here.

Make sure to pop your username and link to this thread in your message too, this will save you having to explain again and we can help you quicker.