Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Z10 SMS Freezing and Crashing

lloyda04
2: Seeker

Model Z10 STL1000-2, Software Release 10.2.0.424, OS Version 10.2.0.1791

Having problems with SMS freezing and crashing.  Problem started since last two updates, and now more frequent since updating to above version.  Problem seems to occur when SMS incoming coincides with outgoing message, or when multiple incoming messages from same contact.

Other problems since update

- When composing new SMS, there is a significant lag (15 - 20 secs)  in displaying the SMS entry screen after selecting a contact.  Screen then paints with chat history.

- On enter new SMS message, the first character typed is displayed followed by a lag before the rest of word displayed.  Can type about 4 words before anything is shown.

- On a named chat, when selecting the contact (touch top banner on SMS screen), the contact details shown are of another contact.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Help please!

13 REPLIES 13

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lloyda04,

I haven't seen anything like this coming up elsewhere.

Even though this last update didn't trigger the issue, have you tried backing up the Z10 and running a factory reset since you did it?

If not, try that and test to see if the issue is gone before restoring your back-up.

Dave

lloyda04
Thanks for your response. Yes I've done three factory resets but issues as described remain. I rang your Tech Team, who suggested I try a new sim as stage 1, and if that doesn't solve the issue, then book my phone in for repair.

Problem seems to have worsened since first posting. Very long lags.

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi lloyda04, 

If you pop into store they can register you a new SIM straight away. If the issue is still there they can also book it in for a repair. 

Let us know how you get on, 

Kay

lloyda04
Yes, i was given a reference number. Will be going to my local Vodafone store this weekend. Lags are progressively getting worse. Emails, BBM not affected, only sms.

Thanks

Hi there lloyda, ive got the exact same problem with my blackberry, it can take up to a minute before i can swap through text messages, only SMS is effected. BBM, email and other apps work fine.

I'm hoping that your problem was resolved with just a new SIM - a factory reset and hard boot didnt do much but waste time :Confused_face:

Any luck by chance or did you have to send it in?

lloyda04
Hi. Don't take this the wrong way but it was nice to hear that someone else with the same frustrating problems! I've tried new sim...that didn't work! I've factory reset several times...makes no difference. I'm waiting for the imminent 10.2.1 os update, if that doesn't work, then my last resort us to return to Vodafone.

SMS is generally "laggy" all the time now.

Let me know if you find a solution!

Cheers

I had this problem  sending it in for repairs and new sims will not work - i know so many who have. its a software issue. I have had Vodafone send me new phones and all sorts to fix it and it didn't help.

I am hoping the new update will solve the problem but now Vodafone UK have decided to be slow about pushing that through!

Really hoping the update does it!

Doing some google research, i saw that some users who have installed the early developer update have ceased to have that issue when it was apparent before - Also it doesnt matter the hardware, z10 or q10 it can plague any device.

ill report back as soon as i can update!

Thats true, I had this issue when i installed a previous update from BB. Then another came out and it didnt fix my problem. This new update will be the third and if it doesn't fix it I am considering a new phone - not BB.