Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone Unlocking Question

maxwilkes
4: Newbie

When I bought my iPhone 12 Pro Max (pay monthly) it showed in settings as being locked. After 3 months I heard you can request to unlock? Personally I’m happy with Vodafone’s service so see no need to at this point but I thought I’d ask because I was browsing settings today and for some reason it’s now showing “No SIM restrictions” as if it’s been unlocked (even though I didn’t request an unlock). I’m not complaining obviously but just curious if settings is lying to me? Or if Vodafone have somehow unlocked my phone behind the scenes without me needing to ask them? If so, perfect!

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Ofcom will be pushing for phone's to be unlocked out of the box by December 2021 but right now Vodafone wouldn't unlock the phone unless you requested it.

To test if the iPhone is locked or unlocked would be to try another Network's sim card and see if it says no service or similar or if the new Network's name shows with signal @maxwilkes 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I would try that if I was desperate just to make sure but the iPhone settings is definitely reporting “No SIM restrictions” which previously, even last week, it wasn’t. It was reporting carrier restrictions. According to apple “No SIM restrictions” means it’s unlocked. I’ve also noticed I now have the option to manage Mobile Data Network (APN etc), something that was previously unavailable to me. I, however, didn’t request an unlock...I was going to since it’s free apparently but now not sure if I even need to aha.

BandOfBrothers

Ok @maxwilkes  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.