Solution

iPhone XS Max unlock

FxckMalone
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

ive recently bought an Xs Max off of a friend of mine, 

I need to unlock it to use my own SIM card as I'm not on Vodafone, 

I know the process of unlocking the phone however one detail I'm not sure of is do I need his SIM card in the phone for the unlock process to happen or would it happen over the internet as he's got an iPhone 11 Pro max so now he's using that 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @FxckMalone 

Your friends account will show the iPhones imei etc latched to it so by asking your friend to fill out the unlock form Vodafone will see the details match to the friends account and iPhone details and authorise the unlock.

So just to re affirm No your friends Sim Card isn't required to be in the iPhone now or for the duration of the unlocking process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers

I assume he's asked Vodafone to unlock it for him and thus has filled out the unlocking form so Apple then centrally unlock it ?

To your question the answer is No you won't  need his sim card @FxckMalone 

You'll need a sim card that's activated that wouldn't normally work in the locked iPhone and when apple have completed their part the phone will allow the sim card.

It can take Apple upto around 30 days to complete their end but can be quicker.

Sometimes hooking upto iTunes helps too.

Current Phone  >

The phone was a contract one via Vodafone yeah, but we haven't done the form as I'm not sure if he needed the SIM card in the phone for the duration of the unlock but that's great if not we'll fill it out now! 

BandOfBrothers

Hi @FxckMalone 

Your friends account will show the iPhones imei etc latched to it so by asking your friend to fill out the unlock form Vodafone will see the details match to the friends account and iPhone details and authorise the unlock.

So just to re affirm No your friends Sim Card isn't required to be in the iPhone now or for the duration of the unlocking process.

Current Phone  >