Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

unlock unhappiness

conradb
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My contract came up for renew, since I want to keep number and stay I am opting to change package. But I know from experience if you dont unlock when you get the chance, you will struggle. I have failed to get 2 phones unlocked in the past, and the vendor in one case had to send me a new device. So I get my code, it does not work. I have unlocked many phones , but also had more than one fail, so already not happy already.

I call up, and get told wait for a second code, I get an email saying the code I got initially is correct. So I reset my phone to factory default , but of course the code did not work. Spend 2 days just getting all set up again. So it's 7 days along now.

Why in the year 2020 can an operator not remote unlock, or at least offer an in store service to do this. I go to my local store, and just get willingness to help, but no actual help. I'll be phoning again, and I just feel that the failure rate I have experienced means this problem is much worse than we let on.

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @conradb 

Can you please say which model of phone you are trying to unlock to all networks  ?

I ask as some phones like Samsung Models sometimes also need a mastercode MCK also known as an unfreeze code.

Others need a specific code to instigate the unlock followed by the Nuc.

The Vodafone Highstreet Stores cannkt help with unlocking as they simply can't generate a Nuc as only customer services or the Nuc department can.

Customer services can escalate this to the Nuc department as well can the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

They can if deemed necessary also supply you the Nuc department email address. They are not customer facing so there is no contact number for them.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Just wanted to come back and set some real context. It's amazing how pain colours the words you say. Joab had this problem, he was hurting, so everything he said about anyone was hurtfull too. It was temporary. People need to know that. It was all just wind for Joab too. I'm a happy vodacom customer, because I get good coverage, and the phone support is pretty good too.

Brothers, Yes, I have some notes on when I called and how often, so far just twice, 3 if you count the initial chat to start the ball rolling, since I want to swap contract to get cheaper airtime on VOXI, which is at least competitive. So yes, I went through the steps on the web. And got told to wait for a master unlock code after that third call, that code was identical to the code I got initially. This was via email from the nuc code department as far I could tell, where a nice lady explained it all in her email. So I'll be phoning up and requesting a RMA on Monday morning. It's not rocket science.

My gripe is this: ! I had a collegue double check me as I did it, because I have had bad experiences with this in the past. So the fault was not going to be mine. My eyes are not that young anymore, so I don't know how anyone with failing sight and abilities can be expected to follow this procedure at home perfectly. My failure rate has been spectacular, which creates cause for concern. I have had one device RMA a year ago (I admin all my family phones, centralised billing simplifies things) and one phone we have is just stuck, even the corner shop hacker could not undo it after a week. So that's stuck on Virgin. Yes I do swap networks a lot. So unless the security benefit is clear, providers must be bearing some cost at the point it goes wrong. I am just unhappy, because a device I rely on ends up holding a lot of keys and I end up enabling more than 1 device administrator for remote wipe, and this ends up adding to time cost for me, nobody pays that back to me. So yeah, its all wind, because January is a nasty month to boot.

It's not helpfull really but it is a Samsung S7 just for the metadata for these posts that do seem to create gripe threads. I'd just like to get an idea of whether I'm just patently unlucky, or whether the locking technique is going to see some re-engineering. I work close to the tech, and have already seen a lot of other devices that are now secured in much smarter ways, and anticipate changes brought in with esim to what kind of control, is possible. I'd like to be living in a way that looks forwards for everything around me, while putting me at the centre physically, not just electronically.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for getting in touch @conradb - I'm sorry to hear you're having issues getting your phone unlocked and know how frustrating this must be. Just to double check, you mentioned Vodacom; are you a Vodafone UK customer?