Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

why does it cost so much for repairs!

CarolineMurray
3: Seeker
why does it cost so much for repairs! i bought my sons the huawei g510 for xmas and gave them it early as sales assistant activated voucher my son fell smashed his screen within twelve hours i spoke to vodafone live who said take it back i took it back to shop sales assistant said it would cost me £65 to fix the phone was only £100 +£20 freedom freebie pack so its gonna cost me two thirds of the price of the phone to be repaired this is ridiculous!!!. Why??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Because you have to pay for the spares (which aren't cheap) and the labour charges for someone to dismantle the phone and put the new screen in and test it.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

30 REPLIES 30

drey_p

Because you have to pay for the spares (which aren't cheap) and the labour charges for someone to dismantle the phone and put the new screen in and test it.

PWIAC

CarolineMurray
but its nearly the cost of phone how does that even make sense???

@CarolineMurray wrote:
but its nearly the cost of phone how does that even make sense???

Hi CarolineMurray,

the repair might seem really pricey at £65, but that's because the phone itself was only £100. For example if you had an Iphone 5S (retail price around £550) and you were told £65 to fix the phone, it would seem like a good deal. The handset price is irrelevant to the cost of the repair unfortunately, parts can be very expensive, and they are the elements that make up the phone. 

You have to weigh up your options really, if it's £65 to fix, or buy a brand new one at £100, repairing it is still a saving of £35 in compared to purchasing a new one. 

Kayla
If my post helped you, press the 'thumbs up' button :Smiling:

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
The screen is probably the most expensive component in a mobile phone just like they are in laptops. As drey_p has said, replacing a broken screen is a very labour intensive process and not the auto installation of a factory assembly line. Does it even make more sense now?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

CarolineMurray
Yet you can pick up a replacement screen for £10.50 so they charge £55 for the person to fix it

CarolineMurray
I clicked the kudos by accident i dont even know what it means

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Kudos is a acknolodgement of when someone has been helpful or informative. A visual way of saying 'Cheers'

As for the repair price, I certainly don't have the tools or skills to take a small electronic device to bits, replace parts, and rebuild it without having any screws left over :Smiling:

So £50 for that is probably about right if it takes around an hour to do.

Have you had a look at your home contents policy, that may cover accidental damage to mobiles, although the excess may be around the same price as the repair :Sad_face:

You could maybe get a different handset that is cheaper than the repair cost (Vodafone Smart Mini for example) and while not quite the same, at least it will be a working device, and a lesson learnt that accidents can happen and maybe ask santa for a case for it.

CarolineMurray
hes got a case was waiting on delivery, but i still dont agree with the high repair bill ive been a loyal customer to vodafone for alot of years but doubt il be much longer

jeffkinn
So you think that Vodafone should pay for your repair? And do you think any other network would repair it for you? Believe me - they wouldn't.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png