Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TRACKISAFE v multi tracker location way out

CarolLD
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I bought the tracker for my cat 2 days ago. It’s  working although I have had to reinstall the App a few times as it wasn’t updating. But the location is regularly way off. I was with my cat for 15mins in the garden and the tracker was showing he was 5 mins away in one direction and then 5 mins away in the opposite direction. Both locations are much further than he goes. If I didn’t know where he was I would have been really worried. It’s not fit for purpose if it can’t give me a decent location I mean that’s the whole point of a tracker? I know gps is only accurate to within a few meters but this is ridiculous. Can anyone advise what the problem is?

22 REPLIES 22

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@CarolLD How inaccurate were the readings at the time though? Was your cat in the directions the tracker was showing? Have you also got the latest updates installed?

Hi @josh

It’s a brand new tracker so I assume it’s got the latest updates on it.

Unfortunately the locations were way off. The cat was sat by me when it gave me several readings showing him over 100 meters away as the crow flies, it’s continued to happen showing different locations each time and I’ve taken screen shots of many of them.

I checked the Vodafone status in case that caused the problem and all was well with that. 

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@CarolLD Is there anything in your home area that could be interfering with the signal? Have you always faced this accuracy issue with the tracker? Or has this only come about recently? 

Hi @josh

i only bought the tracker 4  days ago and it’s been like this since I got it. I don’t live in a built up area, no tall buildings around and haven’t/don’t have problems with mobile signals. I use Three mobile for my own mobile though, not Vodafone.

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@CarolLD What's your coverage like in your area though? Do you get stable 4G connections, is it a rural area etc? 

Hi @josh 

No I don’t live in a rural area, and I don’t have problems. I generally use 3G though. Do you think that could be a problem?

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@CarolLD When you're checking the tracker's location on your phone, are you connected to Wi-Fi or are you using your 3G mobile data? 

Hi @josh, I’m on WiFi.

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@CarolLD I doubt it's the connection then, as Wi-Fi is particularly stronger then mobile data. A colleague has suggested there may be physical damage causing this, can you see any marks/scratches etc. on the tracker?