‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

goto
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I cannot dial out.  I've got a new SIM and phone.  Re-booted my BT Home Hub, SureSignal and phones several times but still cannot dial out except for 1471.  I came across this on the eForum which sounds like my problem:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-quot-Call-Failed-quot-error-when-mak...

Still unable to make outbound calls? There may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your Location information (also known as a SAC/LAC compatibility issue). A SAC (Service Area Code) corresponds to a serving cell on a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call is made, it's needed in order for the emergency services to know where a call has been made from. As a Sure Signal could be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC included. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when you register your Sure Signal initially, it's created based on the nearest cell to your location. In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't have the SAC for your area included on its database then the call will fail. The reason for these issues is that some SACs are missing from the Sure Signal's MSC database. Recently an audit was carried out to ensure that the MSCs used for Sure Signal calls did contain all of the required SACs. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we'll let you know how to contact us directly. George eForum Team

How do I contact you directly about this?

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi goto,

In order that we can take a look at this, can you post your Sure Signal serial number? We can use this to look into a number of things including this.

Can you also confirm when you got the new equipment and whether the Sure Signal was working prior to the switch for me? We have also been experiencing issues with new registrations which may have affected you when the equipment changed.

Dave

Hello Dave,

My SureSignal serial number is: 21229648874

I got the SureSignal in late 2010, I think.  It replaced an earlier one that stopped working.

Not sure what you mean by "the switch" but the SureSignal has been working fine from 2010 until a few weeks ago when it stopped letting me dial out (apart from 1471).  It worked with my old phone and SIM and then stopped working. I got a new phone and new SIM hoping, and on Vodafone advice, that that may cure the problem.  It doesn't work with my new phone and new SIM either.  I can receive calls with the SureSignal and my wife can receive and make calls with it.  I can receive and make calls when I'm connected to a normal transmitter mast.  SureSignal's lights 1,2 & 4 are on solid.  I've re-booted it, the BT Home Hub 2 and my phones several times.  I'm told that the new SIM's number has been registered with the SureSignal database.

Thanks for looking in to this.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there goto,

Thanks for your post. It looks like we will need to change your Service Area Code (SAC) to get this working again.

I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

Cheers,

Lee

I still cannot make outbound calls, apart from 1471, despite following all your instructions.

Hey,

I setup my Sure Signal today and cannot make outgoing calls, incoming seems fine.

I have tried the troubleshooting guide but with no joy, could it be the SAC issue?

Let me know if you require my SN for the SS and how I can get it up and running.

Thanks,

Will

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there goto,

I'm flabbergasted!

I'll request for the SAC to be changed again and will update you when this has been done.

Hey syph,

If it's just outbound calls that are affected then this is definitely the case, sadly.

We'll be able to get this sorted for you. I've sent you a PM which can be accessed here. If you could follow the instructions in the PM and send us your details one of the team will be with you as soon as they can.

Cheers,

Lee

Hi there goto,

The SAC has now been changed. I've forced a resync of your VSS. Please factory reset it to ensure the changes take full effect and let me know if you're still in need of help with this issue.

VSS Factory Reset

• Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
  • The VSS should come online within the hour

Cheers,

Lee

Hello Lee,

I've done as you asked and I still cannot dial out. 

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi goto

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to see you are still experiencing difficulties.

I have checked your device and it would appear you connected last night, please can you confirm you are still experiencing difficulties.

If you are please respond through the email communications we have had and we will be in touch.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team