‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

billbaggins
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I think it may be a slow handshake problem, happens every time I make an outgoing call, redial goes straight through. :robottongue:

mstjwebb
4: Newbie

Well my Sure signal has failed for the second time giving exactly the same symtoms as before ie no registered phone is able to make outgoing calls but incoming work fine.

Last time it took more than a month start to finish to get my postcode re=registered and my sure signal working again.

If it takes that long this time my business is going elsewhere.

It is obvious that my postcode has been removed once again during the recent "maintenance" of the system.

Please god give me patience!

Hi mstjwebb

Welcome to the eForum!

It sounds like you maybe suffering with a SAC (Service Area Code) issue. I would suggest having a quick read of this thread and sending your details over.

Thanks

BenJ
eForum Team 

Well, I left a message on the contact our CEO page and got a call back a day later, which was nice.

A new twist however which I should report to those looking at the issue.  I have put a new SS V2 int my Daughter in Laws house in WA15, which normally has exceedingly poor to non-exitent coverage.  Since putting this in the iPhone users have users have come in and picked up the SS box every time without a problem and had no first time call failure errors.  I can only assume it relates to the very poor coverage in the area, so the phones immediately latch onto the SS box with no alternates available.  Anyway, this box is been working perfectly with iPhone devices for the last week or so.

Hi Ben

It is an SAC issue as I said in my first post! I have been through all this before and it took a month to fix it! Mainly because people would not believe what I was telling them and because supposed tech people on the phones had no idea what I was on about!

The same thing is happening again because some muppet has again deleted my postcode from a database somewhere causing my sure signal to stop working. This is a big thread and therefore a big problem! I would like to escalate this problem as high as I can. Can you help me with that? Because unless I get it fixed quick I am taking my business elsewhere. How can I operate a business when I have no outgoing phone for a month at a time?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there mstjwebb,

Many thanks for your post about the SAC issue.

In all fairness it's not a 'muppet' that has changed anything. From time to time the back end systems are updated and the Service Area Code is not amended for an unknown reason. It's my job to help our customers resolve this as quickly as possible.

The easiest way for me to help our customers is for them to follow the template in George's post at the beginning of this thread and contact us.

I submitted a request for another customer to change the SAC yesterday and today I've been emailed to advise it's completed. This is well within the timeframe you've suggested.

I've managed to locate your Sure Signal serial number from previous emails you've sent to us recently and can see you are on the incorrect SAC. I've requested for this to be changed and will update the thread when I've had confirmation the change has been completed.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi mstjwebb,

Update: I've now got a case reference for your SAC issue: INC65586.

I'll update the thread when it's confirmed as changed.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi Lee
Any further news on the call failed error affecting iphone users? Its getting ridiculous now :Sad_face:

Hi psychopomp1

I know how frustrated you feel about this issue, I've said previously that I've been chasing this and that as soon as I have any news that I can share with you that I would. The latest information I have is that our support teams have identified the cause of the issue for the call drops and outgoing issues and are working on a fix for this. I have chased this up to see when this fix will be available or released, however I haven’t received a response back from this. I can only apologise for the delay, I've mentioned that I myself am suffering from this issue so I do know how frustrating it is. 

I promise as soon as I have more information I will let you know.

Thanks

BenJ

eForum Team 

Thanks for update BenJ, at least we now know the cause has been identified, so hopefully a fix won't be too far away.
Cheers :0