‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Hi mstjwebb,

I've now had confirmation that your SAC has been changed. Can you confirm for me that service has now resumed?

I had the confirmation on Monday but this is my first day in the office this week.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

My Sure Signal was a nighmare to setup earlier this year, took 2 months and a replacement to get it working.

Now, all of a sudden, it's started failing on outgoing calls, again.
It sounds like the SAC problem, but it's been working for 5 months so it can't be that.

I've reset the box half a dozen times.

Can anyone from VF help resolve this problem?

Hi there scoobyflew,

From time to time SAC issues can return to a device if the Service Area Code is updated by the system.

The quickest way for us to check this would be for you to send us an email using the template in the first post in this thread.

I look forward to seeing your email.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

seob85
2: Seeker

New iPhone, so.....

De-registered Sure Signal

unplugged SureSignal

Re-registered.

Re-connected & SureSignal reboots & looks like it's working

Checked that 3G is enabled on phone, it is. I've been using 3G elsewhere.

traceroute to Suresignal gets to Vodafone

C:\Documents and Settings\not-admin>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to host212-183-133-177.uk.access.vodafone.net [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.10.10.1
  2    17 ms    17 ms    71 ms  host81-134-64-1.in-addr.btopenworld.com [81.134.
64.1]
  3    19 ms    17 ms    16 ms  213.120.182.141
  4    18 ms    17 ms    17 ms  213.120.161.82
  5    19 ms    16 ms    34 ms  217.41.222.30
  6    19 ms    17 ms    17 ms  217.41.222.178
  7    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  acc1-10GigE-0-7-0-4.bm.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.
248.70]
  8    26 ms    27 ms    27 ms  core1-te0-15-0-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
48.12]
  9    26 ms    24 ms    24 ms  transit1-xe0-0-0.ealing.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.200.
106]
 10    26 ms    24 ms    24 ms  t2c3-xe-10-1-0.uk-eal.eu.bt.net [166.49.168.5]
 11    29 ms    23 ms    23 ms  ethernet10-4.ar9.lon3.gblx.net [204.245.36.177]

12    76 ms    23 ms    23 ms  ae6.scr4.LON3.gblx.net [67.17.106.150]
 13    28 ms    27 ms    25 ms  te6-4-10G.ar6.LON3.gblx.net [67.16.141.137]
 14    36 ms    34 ms    34 ms  VODAFONE-LTD.TenGigabitEthernet7-1.ar6.LON3.gblx
.net [64.214.144.122]
 15     *     ^C

Any advice??

Not sure why my post has been moved to this thread. Probably more Vodafone smoke & mirrors in lieu of any real help. This thread is highly contradictory & judging by the pages I've read through there's no actual solution, just a lot people complaining..

I've just spent two hours on the phone to support who have asked me to reset it (disconnect ethernet cable & press reset) the Sure signal now appears to be back to it's usual state. However, the phone still doesn't connect to it. currently have text messaging faciltity via GSM.

So, this will  be another phone sent back.

rbrandon

I have been following this thread too and have just registered today again in the hope that numbers will get this sorted. 

Both me and my wife have iPhone 4's and are both having this issue of call failed when in our house only.  Once the initial call fails the second usually goes through.  In addition my brother in law has the exact same problem although his seemed much worse than mine in that it would not connect on second or even third attempts and sometimes took ten or more.  Basically un-usable in his home.  I have just upgraded his iPhone firmware to the latest version 4.3.5 at the weekend so we will see if that improves his to merely the majority here of first call out fail.

I will get him and my wife to register and complain as well to add a couple more to the mix.

This is clearly a VSS with iPhone issue as there are no such problems for me anyway outside of my house....

Here's hoping for some fix.

hello Lee or whomever is reading,

kindly requesting a resync to my Sure Signal please, following the identification on an incorrect SAC allocated to me.

Serial is  21229612680

thanks in advance

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi smizza

I've just resync'd your Sure Signal for you,  if you can perform a factory reset, you should be up and running.

To factory reset the Sure Signal box:

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds) keeping the reset button held down.
  • Remove then re-insert the power lead.
  •  Once all lights display release the reset button. The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour. 

Thanks

BenJ

eForum Team 

TopDog129
4: Newbie

Just wanted to add that we have had VSS/iPhone problems for about 8/9 months as well.

Initially the problem was only that inbound calls and SMS messages intermittently would not come through on the iPhone when connected to VSS. This was only a problem with the iPhone 4 and not other other handsets (such as HTC/Nokia). This is still an issue today and many people might be having this but they just don't realise it as when other people call them they will just go straight through to voicemail.

The Call Failed issue was not present at the beginning and has maybe been around for the past 4 months. It is a huge problem but again only for the iPhone 4 and not other devices connected to the VSS.

My wife is absolutely hating her iPhone because of this issue... takes 4/5 attempts on a regaular basis to make a call and when I call her during the day her phone will go straight to voicemail even through she is at home right next to the SureSignal box so I end up calling the home phone :Sad_face:

The VSS is registered with the iPhone 4 account but is there a way to de-register the iPhone 4 on the VSS so that the other handsets can continue to use the VSS? I don't want to disable 3G as then you have to manually turn it on when you are out and about.

I'm also seeing issues with iPhone 4 and SureSignal. In my case, after a while, all incoming calls go to voicemail. This is repeatable until I make an outgoing call (which works). Next incoming call succeeds. This is with a full five-bar signal on the iPhone.  Sometimes, the first incoming call rings but is disconnected when I answer.

I've had these problems for months, and there is no prospect of a solution. I don't actually believe that anyone is investigating the problem. It would be quite easy to trace the situation since once it starts happening, it's repeatable until I make an outgoing call. If you actually had software engineers working on this, we could easily debug it.

G