‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Hi Ben. Thanks for taking our comments on board. It would be really refreshing if someone could take ownership of our issues and not try and palm us off. As per my post I have been in contact with the tech team who used log me in to check everything on my Internet connection as well as having changed to different iPhones, sure signals etc. I had no problem on my previous phone a blackberry apart from the old outages that were frequent earlier this year. Look forward to some progress soon and thanks again. Rob

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi rob3535

No Problem!   I'm taking ownership :Smiling:   Let me explain what Lee and I have done so far:

I saw a rise in people with iPhone’s complaining about this issue so pulled as many examples as possible from the eForum did some investigating, and created a business case to our tech teams using the examples on here. I am chasing this up daily to try and get any information for you all.  As soon as I have information that I can share with you on here I will let you all know. 

As an iPhone user myself I know how frustrating this issue is and I would love for it to be resolved right away.  

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

Thanks Ben it's much appreciated and it sounds like you and Lee appreciate the frustrations us iPhone users are having which in itself is refreshing!

Rob

Oh no, please. I hope the staff put a stop to this one quickly. The whole business of siting the VSS is, in this instance, a complete and utter red herring and has no place in this thread other than to cloud the issue and delay things even more. :Sad_face:

Lee,

I have the same problem.  I have an iPhone 4 and a Sure Signal.  The first time I dial, I get "Call Failed", then "Call Back" always works. My Sure Signal's serial number is 21230524197.  I'd be happy to supply you with any further details you need to help resolve the problem.

Dewi

Hey dewidaniels,

I've just sent an email in order that we can add you to our investigations.

Kindest regards,

Lee

eForum Team

is there a eta when the fix might be rolled out to customers yet

Lee,

I was contacted by one of your colleagues a few ago regarding some incompatibility issues with VSS and the iPhone. I was then told to wait till those problems are sorted out. I was also told a V2 VSS will be sent out to me which I am still waiting for.

Any update?

Vin
___________________________________________________________________________________________
SE P910i, Nokia 9300, Qtek 9100, TyTn, TyTn II, Touch Diamond, TP, TP 2, Trophy 7, 3GS, 4, iPad 2, 4S

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Am I the only one to have noticed a dramatic improvement since iOS 4.3.5?

@dewidaniels wrote:

Am I the only one to have noticed a dramatic improvement since iOS 4.3.5?

I have upgraded my phone to 4.3.5 and I have also noticed an improvement in the behavior with SSv1.

I haven't had a problem with outbound calls today whereas previously I could easily reproduce the issue (call blocked on first attempt, then gets through on immediately retryng) after about 10 mins not making calls.

I don't know for sure about in-bound calls but I have received 1 call this morning although I can't know if any have been missed.

Startng to wonder if this is looking better now - will keep monitoring.

Best regards

Lee