‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

pinmill
2: Seeker

I have the same problem.  Not possible to make outgoing calls.

It has been erratic in the past, but now never works.  Have had the line checked by ISP.

Old box, lights 1,2 and 4 on permanently.

Other maybe linked problem, if using internet via 3G, it always places me somewhere in North London.

Regards

Hi Guys,

I have sent you both PM’s so we can investigate this further, please follow the instructions on the PM and one of our team will be able to follow this up for you.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

I also have the same issue as the people above.

Sure signal light sequence looks OK.

My HTC  has full 3G signal when sure signal is on.

Outgoing call on HTC  = call failed.

Outgoing SMS/message = OK

Incoming call on HTC = OK

Incoming SMS/message = OK

This is possibly a Sure Signal SAC Issue.

Please can you assist?

Hi TECTURAROB and welcome to the eForum

I’ll send you a private message that explains how you can get in touch with us so that we can look into this further for you.

You can find your PM inbox here

Thanks

Wayne

hi

I have exactly the problem that is described in the first post. Inbound calls and internet are working fine, outbound calls result in “Call failed” error.

My postcode: N19 5JW

Sure Signal serial number: 40120209594

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi zzang,

Thanks for your post.

The issue which you are describing indicates that you are having an issue with the SAC (service area code) which needs to be updated.

So that we can do this for you I have sent you a quick PM, please follow the instructions on the PM and one of the team can get this requested for you.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

kypros_michael
George the contact us form does not work.
I have had a working Sure Signal for 6 months and now it stops working. The same problems as everyone else on this thread.
Please Help
Kypros

Hi kypros_michael, w427801, rweuropa

Thank you for your posts and a very warm welcome to the eForum.

I have sent you each a Private Message so we can investigate this further for you, please use eithert method and we will be in touch as soon as we can.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

w427801

Hi, Can't get the contact page to work, had a sure signal for 5 months now and suddenly having problems with dialing out.  Can receive calls etc.  Can you help? thanks

reggiesamuel

James, Lee and team,

Thank you for attending to this incident promptly and efficiently.

You kept me informed at each stage of the analysis and fix.

You reset/refreshed the SAC yesterday and i confirm the sure signal is now working without issue in my office.

Excellent outcome.

Please do reference the apple airport extreme settings i shared earlier if required.

I'm aware that a number of users have reported problems interfacing the sure signal and airport extreme.

I confirm there is no inherent conflict.

Simply set a fixed LAN IP for the sure signal and then setup the required TCP and UDP port forwards to that address.

regards

Reggie Samuel