‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Hi psychopomp1,

I've removed your IMEI from your post, but have made a note of it for when we respond on the thread.

Thanks

Andy

eForum Team

Hi psychopomp1

Thanks I've updated my investigation with your records.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

Hi
My SS unit rebooted by itself this afternoon (nothing wrong with internet or router) and then was working again after about 45 mins. I also received an SMS saying that the location of my unit has changed, please update your address...even though i changed nothing. Just wondering if Vodafone have made changes to my SS unit to resolve the failed calls error? Serial # of SS is 40111063430

Hey psychpomp1,

Thanks for your post. There have been no changes as far as I'm aware and I'd normally have at least a notification from the support teams if any changes had been made.

I'd like to investigate the fact you've received a text confirming your Sure Signal's location has been changed.

Have you had just the one of more than this?

Has the unit changed location recently? (I suspect not)

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi James_Mitchell

No problem email is on its way!

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

I also have this problem with my iphone4.  First attempt at a call fails and seubsequent redial is fine.  Happens as regular as a regular thing on a regular day :smileyhappy:  Thought this was as a result of broader SS connectivity problems.

Dave 

Hi there,

I have a new (2 months ago) iPhone 4 from Apple, and I bought a new version of Sure Signal (40110445653) last week.  Not bad for a few days, then call quality kept dropping, voices going in and out at both ends.

Now, I am getting Call Failed every other call, and then when I redial it goes through, but the voices still go in and out.  I've tried Wi-Fi on and off and it makes no difference.

Also, while my power light is on ok, the System light has been flashing all day.  (I've tried the reset - it made no difference.)  The router modem plug on the back has a continuous yellow light, and a flashing green one.

Oh dear!

Kal

Hi there Kalukibrown,

Many thanks for your post.

I've just sent an email to your registered eForum address. Please reply with the requested details and I'll add you to our investigation.

In relation to the second part of your post; the sequence you can see indicates the unit to be initialising. If this symptom has been the same for more than six hours then you will need to check the ports and open them up. If you can follow the steps at portforwarding.com you should be good to go again.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi Lee

Yesterday i received the following message on my handset when my SS rebooted by itself:

" We have noticed your sure signal box has moved, please update your address. This will allow the emergency services to locate you, should you make a call"

I have not changed any settings, the registered postcode still remains the same. I only received one such message.

Any news when the call failed error will be resolved? Its clear that this only affects iphone 4 users as my wife's Nexus Ones (Android 2.3.4) does not have this problem. Would really appreciate if you could resolve this quickly, if a fix is not in the pipeline then perhaps roll-back the latest firmware as i believe the previous fw did not have any such any issues (someone please correct me if i'm wrong) 

Hey psychopomp1,

Many thanks for your post regarding your Sure Signal.

I've now requested that the reminder SMS are no longer to be delivered to your number.

In regards to the call failed error, all details I've collected so far have been forwarded to the relevant team in order to investigate why this is happening.

Investigations continue for the time being, and I'm afraid to say there's no official way to roll back the iOS on any Apple products. This is something that is not in our hands, unfortunately.

As I've been communicating all along, I can't really add anything further regarding the progress of the investigation until I'm provided with information myself.

Here's hoping for a quick resolution.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team