cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I use two sure signals on the same broadband / Home network to boost the signal?

nevrev73
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello.

Is it possible to use two sure signals on the same broadband network

I could not seem to find any detailled information on this?.

I have one in the upstairs in the front of the house but the kitchen in the downstairs rear of ths house has a dead spot and needs boosting there.

My broadband is sky and I using a sky router to connect to PC but then a belkin router provides a stronger wireless signal.

I am also using powerline adapters on the network as well (AV homeplug) and this is how the cable style router is connected in the kitchen

What is the best way to confirgure and use two sure signals on one network as the single box on its own is not powerful enough to cover the whole house

Download speed 14.23 MB

Upload speed 0.79 MB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi John,

There doesn't seem to be any problems running 2 Sure Signals through the same router, so as long as you have satisfactory internet bandwith I can't see that there would be a problem running 3.

The answer to your exam question is .......

Consider using powerline adaptors instead of cable, they can make a very versatile network throughout the house assuming that the mains supply is all on the same phase.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/network-wifi/what-is-powerline-3491484/

Regards.

Mike.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi nevrev73,

Firstly, yes you can use more than one Sure Signal in each house however it will depend on the speed that you are getting.

Looking at the speed test that you have provided there shouldn’t be any issues.

Secondly, the tricky part is the configuration of the Sure Signals as you should be able to use the second Sure Signal with an AV homeplug, unfortunately we aren’t able to say what configuration would be required but it should work straight away for you given it will take the setup from your main router.

The easiest way to test this would be to plug your existing Sure Signal into the AV homeplug to see if it works before purchasing a second unit.

James

To add to what James has said, as long as you have a single network (subnet) served by a single DHCP server you should be able to simply plug in a second SS, wait for it to configure and go. The existence of the AV homeplugs is transparent to the SS and there is no configuration to do in that respect as long as the homeplugs deliver a respectable bandwidth / throughput for their section of the network.

Points to note;

• You won't be able to roam from one SS to the other while you are on an active call. If you get out of range on an SS the call will attempt to transfer to the local macro cell; active calls never transfer to an SS.
  • The second SS won't work if you have employed port forwarding to get the first to work - you can't forward the same ports simultaneously to two devices.
Philip

Dear philip42h

I would like to use two VSS3's on the same network like the other post.

When you say this won't work 'if I have employed port forwarding', do you mean 'if I have had to set certain services to certain ports' on the services page of my router setup?

I have a Netgear DG834 on TalkTalk ISP and have had to do just this, along with reserving an IP address for the VSS3 and specifically setting up VSS keepalive on port 8.

Are you saying a router that works with the VSS3 without configuration should therefore be able to handle two VSS3's. (If I plug in my old VSS2, it won't connect)

I have still have 400k upload speed left when my VSS3 is active.

Thanks.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Andy64

Welcome to the eForum.

All Sure Signal devices run on the same platform so you will not need to configure your VSS3. The only difference is that the version 3 can handle more calls.

As-long as you have good data speeds you should have no issues using two Sure Signals. Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Sukhi

philip42h

@Andy64 wrote:

Dear philip42h

I would like to use two VSS3's on the same network like the other post.

When you say this won't work 'if I have employed port forwarding', do you mean 'if I have had to set certain services to certain ports' on the services page of my router setup?

I have a Netgear DG834 on TalkTalk ISP and have had to do just this, along with reserving an IP address for the VSS3 and specifically setting up VSS keepalive on port 8.

Are you saying a router that works with the VSS3 without configuration should therefore be able to handle two VSS3's. (If I plug in my old VSS2, it won't connect)

I have still have 400k upload speed left when my VSS3 is active.

Thanks.

It's quite a while since I've posted here, but 'yes' I think you have this correct.

If your router works with the VSS without configuration (i.e. using standard NAT) it should able to handle two or more VSS devices. This is how things should be.

If you have set-up forwarding rules to direct traffic arriving on a specific port to a specific [VSS] device, that VSS will receive all traffic arriving at the router on that port even if it was requested by another device. Under these circumstance as second VSS won't work.

HTH

Philip

Understood. I will search for a true plug and play router. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Hi,

I have 2 SS's working fine on my network having moved one here from another address. (Needed as old sprawling house with 18inch thick brick interior walls!) I did change the postcode etc properly. Recently, though, Vodafone started texting and emailing me that I had to update my postcode. I have just tried to do this to each SS in my account even though they were displaying correctly as I read another post that indicated my recent change of router might have made the SS's think they had been moved... Problem now, though, is that when I try to confirm the postcode of the second one, I am told I cannot register 2 SS's at the same postcode.....

Please advise.

Regards,

-Tom

I now have a VSS3 and a VSS2 working perfectly using one broadband connection. Both registered to the same postcode. The postcode did not appear as an issue at all.

Extra info: There does not seem to be a bandwidth issue as some advisors said there would be. I have about 6Mb/s download and 0.8Mb/s upload speeds and the two Sure Signals work fine, one direct into the router and one via a 4 port USB hub (but I dont think those specifics matter).

I did change the router from my Netgear DG834 to a BelkinN150 which did not need any port forwarding on my Talk Talk broadband.

Andy

Hi ComradeHaz,

There shouldn’t be any issue with registering two Sure Signals at one address if there is sufficient bandwidth available.

The quickest way to resolve this would be to change one of the postcodes to the opposite side of the street/road (if it’s different) or alternatively, the next street across.

Hi Andy64,

Thanks for update, it’s great to know both your Sure Signals are now working for you.

Thanks,

Andrew