Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing/steady power light, no other lights lit

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We’ve created this thread to help with an issue that some people find during setup.

This issue has the following symptoms:

• The power light either constantly flashes or remains steady
  • No other lights flash or light up

Please note that whether the power light is flashing or remains steady, this still points to the same issue - the Sure Signal hasn't established a connection to the internet.

The only difference is that if the light’s steady, then the Sure Signal has previously downloaded a profile from the server, if it's flashing then it hasn't.

Troubleshooting steps:

Check the physical connection between your Sure Signal and the router/modem.

In order to work, the Sure Signal needs to be connected to a spare Ethernet port on your router or modem, or a Hub/Switch that is connected to an internet gateway.

In some cases, it’s possible for an Ethernet cable to be faulty, in which case it may not allow your router and Sure Signal to talk to each other.

To verify that the Ethernet cable works, check the lights at the back of your Sure Signal where the cable is plugged in.

There should be a link light on permanently which indicates that an electrical circuit has been established through the cable.

There should also be a light which flashes whenever data is being passed through the cable. If either the data light or the link light do not come on, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself. Please try a spare cable, or plug the cable into a different port on your router/modem.

Check that you’ve got an active internet connection.
Make sure you can connect to the internet on another device, such as your PC or phone. If you can’t connect, this indicates a problem with your router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

We recommend rebooting the router to see if this then allows you to connect to the internet.

Reboot your router/modem:

1. Turn off your router or modem at the wall for 10 seconds and then turn it back on
  2. Wait for the lights on your modem/router to indicate that an internet connection has been established
  3. Press the reset button on the Sure Signal

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled, as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual, or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

BT Infinity customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

Perform a reset of the Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This can take up to 6 hours.

Post your router/ISP details and Sure Signal serial number.

If you’ve done all of the above, or you’re struggling with configuring your router, please post your router's make and model number below. Please also include your Sure Signal serial number and the name of your ISP.

We find that other users of the same router will usually be able to share tips with you, to get things working.

We’ll also attempt to help with this, but due to the number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible. We don’t officially support any form of router configuration, so we’ll always recommend contacting your router manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Thanks,

Jenny

1,304 REPLIES 1,304

@ mwhale If your refering to Remote access

Here are the LogMeIn Rescue Terms And Conditions

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/about-this-site/terms-and-conditions/products-and-services/rem...

Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called "Universal Plug-n-Play" or UPnP, which will setup port-forwarding for you automatically. If you have a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may be required to enter these settings in manually.

The following details list the IP addresses and Port Numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For detailed instructions on how to do this, we recommend either contacting your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or referring to the Default Guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP

Port 8 - TCP/IP

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your Router will also need to be able to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS Server address via DHCP.

Router: SpeedTouch 580

Thanks for the update!

Not really sure why there are Vodafone Servers listed in the post above?

My home router does not give the capabillity to forward from a given incoming source address.  i.e. the server that is sending the incoming packet. So knowing the external server addresses really doesnt help and my configuration of the outside ip address must be 0.0.0.0, as my internet ip address could change at any time.

Surely you mean source ip address and not destination?  If it was a destination then it would be an outgoing connection and would not require any configuration! Assuming the router is configured to allow all internal hosts a connection out.

Routers forward from the front facing gateway ip address of the broadband router to an internal server.  Home Broadband routers only seem to allow you to configure the ip address of the routers external ip address; and not of any source addresses for incoming packets. And then an internal destination for which the incoming packet will be sent.

@ mwhale
Your router is capable of port forwarding
http://www.speedtouch.net.nz/500PortForwarding_R4.2.htm

My suresignal is now working!

Its been off for 2 weeks.

The fix for this is as described in the Troubleshooting guide. 

Simply hold down the reset button, wait for all the lights to come on. 

Keep your finger on the reset button and pull out the power cable.

Keep your finger on the reset button and replace the power cable.

release the reset button.

Once the device has reset you should see the power button and the @ button lit.

It then took a further hour for the device to work. 

Incidentally, if your device worked before the recent vodafone service upgrade, then it should work without doing anything to your broadband router configuration.

Thanks

cjm1979
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

@mwhale wrote:

Is anyone else concerned at allowing their Sureway signal to be accessed over the internet through your home secure router?  I dont see this as much as a firmware upgrade as this was never required previously!

Why do Vodafone require us to do this?  How do we know that this is not a hack?  Because it would be very easy for someone to get your remote ISP address, and now they know the address will forward to the ports specified!

Does vodafone clearly give documentation of what is requried to set up the router?  Which ports and what source the requests will be made from?

Thanks

I never had to forward any on mine before despite Voda phone support saying otherwise when i first got mine at the start of the year and it turned out it was at their end and it worked fine for a few months. It was fine until they did something last week, at a guess the updates they are sending out. Ive tried with the router firewall off and also placing it in the dmz zone and with the ports forwarded and it made no difference .

I also have never set up any port forwarding all i did was Enabled UPnP and worked great for over 12 months till 10th may and think port fowarding is only needed on some routers

Hi George,

Have you had any word back yet about whether my static IP is being blocked by the Vodafone firewall?

Many Thanks

FRD

Hi guys,

FRdriver, apologies, but I've not heard anything back yet. I've just chased this up for you though, so will keep on top of it until I've received an answer.

henry_c_m_james, a very warm welcome to the eForum :). I've just forced a resync on your Sure Signal. Can you let me know if that makes any difference?

mulac, a very watm welcome to you, too :). If your Sure Signal was working until last night, then it's unlikely that we'll need to change any port settings. Can you please let me know your Serial number so that I can force a resync.

Kind Regards,

George

eForum Team

15 days since this issue  been going on now and i have 2 units replaced since then now 1 of them new units has now gone faulty aswell and is now getting beyond a joke!

Are there any updates what so ever regarding when this will be resolved? As im getting sick of hearing tech support say we are working around the clock and will be fixed very shortly and is begining to sound like a stuck record!. :smileymad:

Regards

Digi

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey Digicom,

Many thanks for the update. Your post indicates you've now had two units and that one of those units has become faulty. Are you saying that one of them is working?

Have you tried de-registering the unit and re-registering 24 hours later?

Hey mtcsltd and greybridge,

I've just forced a resync of both of your units. Would you be able to update the thread to confirm whether this has worked for you or not?

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team