Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New phone not connecting to Sure Signal

sbaker106
4: Newbie

Hi

Having recently upgraded my phone to an HTC One X it wont connect to my sure signal. I understand that there is a problem with the One X connecting to the sure signal already but i just want to check to see if there are any other underlying problems with my setup. I am on Virgin media 60Mb broadband using their Super Hub. The SS has a static IP address setup on the router and is in a DMZ so has full access to the web.

Here are my answers to the usual questions that seem to be asked:

Your Sure Signal serial number: 21222716868

Your speed test results: Download 51.14Mbps Upload 2.85Mbps (based on a test run on the server hosted by Vodafone UK in London)

Your ping test results: Ping 23ms Jitter 8ms

Your external IP address: 82.15.224.169

The results of a traceroute.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Steve>tracert 212.183.131.177

Tracing route to 212.183.131.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 62 ms 36 ms 14 ms cpc11-lanc7-2-0-gw.3-3.cable.virginmedia.com [82
.15.224.1]
2 53 ms 11 ms 11 ms brig-core-2a-ae4-2468.network.virginmedia.net [8
0.3.65.121]
3 16 ms 10 ms 13 ms glfd-bb-1a-ae6-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.159.153]
4 18 ms 10 ms 18 ms glfd-bb-1b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.172.6]
5 15 ms 11 ms 20 ms glfd-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.159.46]
6 14 ms 23 ms 15 ms tcl5-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
185.78]
7 52 ms 13 ms 14 ms LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
8 52 ms 39 ms 31 ms 85.205.116.2
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Other devices seems to be working with the SS correctly (iPad and iPhone amoung others).

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi sbaker106,

Everything you've posted looks OK, so the change of SIM is the most likely cause.

On the link Nabs posted, this is the section which is specific to this:

==========================================

Has Your SIM recently been replaced?

When a SIM change is performed it can take up to 2 hours for the Sure Signal system to recognise the change, during this period you won't be able to pick up any signal from the Sure Signal. If you still experience issues after this time then you'll need to remove the affected number from your Sure Signal and then add it back on, this can be done via My Account

If the affected number is the owner of the Sure Signal, you'll need to temporarily transfer the ownership to another number in order to remove/re-add the affected number. This can be done by clicking Change Owner on the Sure Signal Dashboard. The new owner will then need to login to their My Account profile and accept the ownership request, before removing and re-adding the number. Once this has been completed then the ownership can be transferred back to the original number.

If you still have issues after trying this, please let us know.

Dave

View solution in original position

22 REPLIES 22

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Which handset did you have previously?

When you upgraded your phone did you swap an old SIM card for a new MicroSIM?

If so this could be where your problem comes from. The SureSignal users the unique serial number of your SIM to determine wether your phones allowed to connect or not. As this has changed it now thinks you phone is no londer allowed access. There are a few ways to fix this, they dont all work for everybody.

1. Wait - as frustrating as it can be waiting a day or so will usually solve this. It takes a short time for the change of SIM card to filter through the Vodafone systems and make it's way to your SureSignal.
    2. Re-Add your phone number - Some users have reported removing and adding the number to the Sure Signal fixes this. The problem you woulf have here is if the number is the main account, this canot be removed without de-registering the Sure Signal
    3. Call the Sure Signal Support Team - As mentioned in the help center article What should I do if I replace my SIM card but keep the same phone number? call the Sure Signal support team and let them know. They can then manually update the records on the Sure Signal system.

I previously had a HTC Desire so yes i did switch from a normal sim to a new micro one and had to contact VF to activate it when the phone was delivered. I have had the phone for a couple of weeks now reset the SS with the hold the button down and unplug etc.many times.

Yes the SS is link to my account so I would have to deregister it. If I do that will it lose all the numbers I have setup to be able to connect to it?

Thanks

is there a phone number for the support team at all?

Hi sbaker106,

Everything you've posted looks OK, so the change of SIM is the most likely cause.

On the link Nabs posted, this is the section which is specific to this:

Has Your SIM recently been replaced?

When a SIM change is performed it can take up to 2 hours for the Sure Signal system to recognise the change, during this period you won't be able to pick up any signal from the Sure Signal. If you still experience issues after this time then you'll need to remove the affected number from your Sure Signal and then add it back on, this can be done via My Account

If the affected number is the owner of the Sure Signal, you'll need to temporarily transfer the ownership to another number in order to remove/re-add the affected number. This can be done by clicking Change Owner on the Sure Signal Dashboard. The new owner will then need to login to their My Account profile and accept the ownership request, before removing and re-adding the number. Once this has been completed then the ownership can be transferred back to the original number.

If you still have issues after trying this, please let us know.

Dave

Ok thanks Dave for confirming everything that I had posted looked ok.

I have recently downloaded the latest update for the One X (software version: 2.17.161.4) but that hasn't improved anything. I am therfore trying the change of ownership of the SS to remove and then add my number to see if that helps. I will post an update once I have had a chance to do this.

All now working after changing owners and removing/adding my number on the SS. Thanks for your help.

Hi sbaker106,

Thanks for the update here, I’m pleased to see that everything is now working for you.

James

Nabs

@sbaker106 wrote:

Yes the SS is link to my account so I would have to deregister it. If I do that will it lose all the numbers I have setup to be able to connect to it?

That would be a massive pain in the...

There are a couple more suggestion in this thread that may work. If not post back here and one of the Tech Team will be able to take a closer look at the account for you.

connectcctv
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a new sursignal 3. Only one phone of the 3 i have allowed to connect to it actually works. I have removed then re added the affected phone. Reset the SS etc. Any clues why only 1 of 3 works. All are voda contract sims