Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Phone not connecting to Sure Signal

dave0583
4: Newbie

I have a new handset and sim card that will not connect to my sure signal. My old sim and phone did and other vodafone handsets in my house still work. Can someone please advise?

Thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

Gerry,

See attachement which can also be found here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1qcdy97pvy0xx6o/AAD_vKmqVXR7PJvJEOj96D1va?dl=0

From what I can work out this appears to be correct.

You are right in what you say, this is an embarrasment on Vodafone's part. I konw they probabbly struggle with using 3rd party networks that they have no control over but the Suresignal should have a diagnostics process that they can access remotely, even a webinterface for the end user would be better than 3 LEDs!

The networking issues for me are a frustration, I have a business line, with Demon who are now part of Vodafone. I have asked for the two departnments to talk to each other if there is a network issue but I am informed they are not allowed to talk directly. After I have moved my mobile to O2 guess which service is next?

MANY THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND FOR THE DOCUMENT WHICH WILL PROVE USEFUL IF I MANAGE TO SPEAK TO ANYONE WHO UNDERSTANDS IT  😉 ...

I HAVE A BT HOMEHUB3 VERSION A, SO IN THE HOPE THAT A QUALIFIED VODAFONE TECH PERSON READS THIS, HERE IS THEIR ONLINE ADVICE THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW:

I ALSO SEE THERE HAVE BEEN OVER 51,000 VIEWS OF THE TROUBLESHOOTING FORUM POST.. NOW THAT SHOULD BE AN EMBARASSING NUMBER FOR ANYONE..

OK HERE WE GO...

Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.

The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.

For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

1) HOW DO I DO THIS... THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS ANYWHERE?

******************************************************************************************************************************************

If your router or network configuration doesn’t allow DHCP, you’ll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal.

2) HOW DO I DO THIS... THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS ANYWHERE?

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

3) UNIVERSAL PnP IS ENABLED BUT IT'S NOT WORKING?

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

4) HOW DO I FORWARD THESE IP ADDRESSES AND PORT NUMBERS TO MY SURESIGNALS INTERNAL IP ADRESS?  AGAIN, THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Destination IP Addresses:

• 212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

5)  I CANT SEE ANYWHERE TO ENTER IP ADDRESSES... I HAVE FIOUND THE PORT SETUP BUT IT ISN'T CLEAR WHAT YOU ARE CHANGING? SEEMS TO BE A SETUP PAGE FOR CERTAIN NAMED GAMES?

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

6) HOW DO I DO THIS... THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS ANYWHERE? 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

BT Infinity Customers.

If you’re a BT Infinity customer, you’ll need to log into your router admin page and select port clamping.

Once this has been selected please restart your router and Sure Signal.

7) HOORAY, I FOUND THIS.. BUT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK !

Check your MTU settings.

Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you’ll need to look for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500.

😎 NO SIGN OF WHERE I CAN CHANGE THE MTU

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

You keep saying "HOW DO I DO THIS... THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS ANYWHERE?" - you need to look into the instruction manual for your router as it should say how to do this.  If not, a search for your router model and also what you are trying to do should yield results. 

PWIAC

a) I don't have any router instructions..

I've been aTecnhical Director, so if I can't work it out, what chance the average customer?

If I were responsible for this mess, I'd expect to be sacked.

b) I have a menu for port prowarding but you can't enter IP addresses there

c) Take a look ast the Online SS Video.... the one with the rather smug young man who says... "Register, plug it in, wait a while and then you will have full bars." .... this is misrepresentation and I will be making a complaint. The product should be withdrawn until there are proper setup and disagnostic tools available.

I am waitring to see if this is resolverd before complaining as I feel I owe Vodafone the opportiunitiy to sort it if they can / or if they care.

There have been over 51,000 views of the Suresignal Troubleshooting page... so the best advice to these people is... "look at your router instructions".  If it's so easy, why didn't the Tech Help offer me any assistance in setting up my router? 

d) In my view the Tech helpline is USELESS!

The posts from almost all the Tech Team members respod by asking questions and rwarely reach a solution.. their success rate will need to be analysed as part of the complaint... all the evidence is online.

Hi everyone,

@novodasignal - Please check within your router settings, the VPN option is ticked (it may say ‘allow VPN traffic on other router settings).

For us to help further, please let us know the following information:

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

@dave0583 – There was an error showing with the location of your Sure Signal.

I’ve updated this and it’s showing as successful.

So it refreshes from your side, please perform another reset: 

• Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal
  • Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • Plug the cable back in

Allow around one hour for the Sure Signal to come back online.

Thanks,

Gemma

Thanks for your advice Gemma... I have ordered a new Router ( a BT Homehub 5) so I will try to make this work on Wednesday when it arrives.

If I have problems, I will post where I've got to.

Gemma,

I have followed your steps and dispite having been left overnight my suresignal still isnt functioning.

What next?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

@dave0583 - When you have a new SIM card and phone, usually by removing the number from your Sure Signal and then adding it again after six hours, the issue is then resolved.

I can't see that you've been advised this previously, so please try this. 

Also, please use an alternative Ethernet cable in the Sure Signal and then perform a reset. 

@novodasignal  - When you install the new HomeHub 5, please ensure you switch off BT Smart Setup through the router settings page. This service stops the Sure Signal connecting. 

Thanks,

Matt B

Matt,

I have tested the Ehternet cable and it is fine. I will swap it as you suggest. Also I cant remove myself from my own Suresignal. This issue wouldnt affect other users either.

Regards,

I switched off Smart Setup on the Homehub5 and... still not working.

When switching on....

The left hand the (first) light flashes white for a few mins then goes out...

then the red mains light is flashing and the two right hand orange lights stay lit.