cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 3 Consuming 10W and getting hot.

abssorb
4: Newbie

I've had a VSS3 for about two weeks and although it's working perfectly, I was concerned that it was getting hot.

For something will will be plugged in 24/7, I was concerned about how much electricity it would use, and was reassured by the specs which say 

Q. What is the typical Sure Signal box’s power consumption?
A. Sure Signal uses a maximum of 20mW, similar consumption to mobile phones.

But 20mW isn't enough to generate the kind of heat this VSS3 is giving out. Using a measuring device for energy consumption, I measured the VSS3 (with nothing using the plug-through facility) and it draws a constant 41mA, which at 240v is 9.84W.  That's nearly 500 times more than spec.

Clearly mine is faulty, but thinking about it - is that spec correct? Would 20mW ever be enough to do what it does?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi abssorb,

Thanks for you patience. I've had it confirmed that the power levels are as described for the current Version 3 Sure Signal. 

If you're seeing anything different, please unplug it immediately and we'll have your device in for repair. If it's in warranty and our engineers can't fix your Sure Signal, they will supply a like-for-like replacement. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

View solution in original position

32 REPLIES 32

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi abssorb,

Thanks for posting.

Hands up, I'm not an electrician so I can't answer your question about power consumption confidently. I will however get it confirmed with our suppliers to make sure the information is up to date if you think there's a mistake. :Smiling:

Sure Signal 3 will get warmer than older versions with it being plug through. If you think yours is overheating when nothing else is plugged in, I'd recommend a swap. If you're over your seven day cooling off period, we can arrange a repair

Cheers, Ben

I would be grateful if you could confirm the specification from Vodafone's perspective.

I made a purchase decision based on the information given in the FAQ:

http://devicehelp.vodafone.co.uk/filestore/devices/Vodafone/Sure%20Signal/Sure_Signal_Questions.pdf

Which is where I quoted the Q / A from.

The difficulty I anticipate is that if this is a publication error, then we're into the territory of "not as described" re the sale of goods act.  I'd be happy to attempt a swap or repair, but I'm not confident either of these remedies will bring the device into the quoted spec. 

For info - The plug-though is not being used and has never been used. 

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi abssorb,

Thanks for you patience. I've had it confirmed that the power levels are as described for the current Version 3 Sure Signal. 

If you're seeing anything different, please unplug it immediately and we'll have your device in for repair. If it's in warranty and our engineers can't fix your Sure Signal, they will supply a like-for-like replacement. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

I thought I'd give an update.  It took a while for us to return it for attention, but now that we have we promptly received a replacement, which is up and working.

The replacement got just as hot as the original, and sure enough, the test equipment showed 9.5w.

I did a bit of digging, and this is by design (alcatel web site).    THis is answering the wrong question.....

A. Sure Signal uses a maximum of 20mW, similar consumption to mobile phones.

Maybe the copy writer mixed up the terms. This is two questions - Fixed it for you....... :Winking_smiley:

A. Sure Signal consumes a maximum of 10w.

Q. What is the typical Sure Signal box’s transmission power?
A. Sure Signal transmits a maximum of 20mW, similar output to mobile phones.

I thought I would share this as others might also get worried about the amount of heat coming from a claimed 20mW.  I'm much happier that it is running at 10w in line with the Alcatel spec:  PDF Link

Thanks for looking into this abssorb.

I've recently started using an SS3 and have been getting concerned at the heat given off.

When our decommisioned mast is replaced I shall be turning the SS3 off and throwing it away because I'm worried that it's a fire hazard.

Since i made this thread 3 years ago, my SureSignal has worked faultlessly.

It's used every day and left on 24 hours. It stays a constant warm temperature which doesn't concern me because it's consistent with a 10w device.

It extends the signal throughout our whole house on both floors. Well worth it in my opinion.

I can't believe it!  My suresignal has died.  Completely dead with no lights.

I only came back to my thread as I kept getting email notifications, and decide to give an update.  Today it failed. What rotten luck!

Hi @Amanda,

Is there any chance you can send me a PM with instruction for a replacement?

Thanks, :Smiling:

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@abssorb

That's not good to hear.

How long have you had your Sure Signal for? It may be worth  buying a new one online.