cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 3 Consuming 10W and getting hot.

abssorb
4: Newbie

I've had a VSS3 for about two weeks and although it's working perfectly, I was concerned that it was getting hot.

For something will will be plugged in 24/7, I was concerned about how much electricity it would use, and was reassured by the specs which say 

Q. What is the typical Sure Signal box’s power consumption?
A. Sure Signal uses a maximum of 20mW, similar consumption to mobile phones.

But 20mW isn't enough to generate the kind of heat this VSS3 is giving out. Using a measuring device for energy consumption, I measured the VSS3 (with nothing using the plug-through facility) and it draws a constant 41mA, which at 240v is 9.84W.  That's nearly 500 times more than spec.

Clearly mine is faulty, but thinking about it - is that spec correct? Would 20mW ever be enough to do what it does?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi abssorb,

Thanks for you patience. I've had it confirmed that the power levels are as described for the current Version 3 Sure Signal. 

If you're seeing anything different, please unplug it immediately and we'll have your device in for repair. If it's in warranty and our engineers can't fix your Sure Signal, they will supply a like-for-like replacement. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

View solution in original position

32 REPLIES 32

@GillyJay

Obtain your FREE replacement and then decide whether to keep it or stick it on fleaBay to get your money back.

Don't reject the opportunity of a replacement unit.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

Thanks Gsmsecure! Good advice!

GillyJay
4: Newbie

Hi, I had a SureSignal, the latest version and mine got really hot. I only used it a couple of days a week when working from home and turned it off when I didn't need it. I had lots of conversations with Vodafone about it and they insisted it should be left on. Sometimes when I turned it on, it did take a while to connect and eventually I upgraded the phone and now use WiFiCall but even that has issues but at least I don't have to worry about a hot SureSignal!