cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 3 Consuming 10W and getting hot.

abssorb
4: Newbie

I've had a VSS3 for about two weeks and although it's working perfectly, I was concerned that it was getting hot.

For something will will be plugged in 24/7, I was concerned about how much electricity it would use, and was reassured by the specs which say 

Q. What is the typical Sure Signal box’s power consumption?
A. Sure Signal uses a maximum of 20mW, similar consumption to mobile phones.

But 20mW isn't enough to generate the kind of heat this VSS3 is giving out. Using a measuring device for energy consumption, I measured the VSS3 (with nothing using the plug-through facility) and it draws a constant 41mA, which at 240v is 9.84W.  That's nearly 500 times more than spec.

Clearly mine is faulty, but thinking about it - is that spec correct? Would 20mW ever be enough to do what it does?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi abssorb,

Thanks for you patience. I've had it confirmed that the power levels are as described for the current Version 3 Sure Signal. 

If you're seeing anything different, please unplug it immediately and we'll have your device in for repair. If it's in warranty and our engineers can't fix your Sure Signal, they will supply a like-for-like replacement. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

View solution in original position

32 REPLIES 32

Hi All,

You might want to review this thread....

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Blew-Up-Exploded-Hot-B...

You'll see a history of how unreliable & dangerous the Sure Signal is & how to get another free of charge...If you really want one!!

Good luck, Dave

skodster
4: Newbie

I have had mine for a week and noticed that it was getting hot. I measured mine with a thermometer and it is running at 44.7 deg C. This is hot.

I had considered returning it but on reading your posts, I will see if it burns the house down instead.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @skodster

We'd love to help. 

Please follow the instructions that I've sent you on a private message, to get in touch with us.

Thanks, 

mine did catch fire; fortunately the electrics tripped and saved the house from burning down

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mrtawny

I'm sorry to hear this. Have we sent you a replacement out?

If not, let us know and we'll send you a message with how to contact our team so we can arrange this. 

If you have had a unit fail whether is it recent or back in 2013 - you are entitled to a free replacement.

Please take a look at: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Blew-Up-Exploded-Hot-Bu...

This issue has been known for a long time and regardless of warranty status you should be offered a replacement at no charge. Please take 10 minutes to call Trading Standards via Consumer Direct on 0345 4040506 to report your failure as they are collecting information on failure in order to consider a recall but need to know how many units are being affected.

Vodafone should have recalled this device years ago..

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

No you haven't sent a replacement out. For all the many conversations I've had over the last year or more with technical/customer services, never once have I been offered a replacement and each time I mentioned the fact that it was getting hot the reply usually deflected away from a direct answer to that particular issue. I don't want a replacement - I'd rather have a refund! The SureSignal just isn't very good for me at all - I got fed up with having to call technical to try to resolve problems and each time they insinuated that I shouldn't keep turning it off but leaving it on was just too worrying when it gets so hot. People just can't hear me when I call from my mobile with SureSignal - I can hear them fine.. I've now had to upgrade my mobile and use WiFi Call which is a bit better but not a lot.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @GillyJay 

I'm sorry to hear the issues you've had with this. 

Please follows the instructions that I've sent to you in a private message and one of the team will be in touch. 

Hi @abssorb

That's great to hear. Thanks for updating the thread and letting us know.  🙂 

Thanks, 

Thanks but there's no need. I have stopped using SureSignal and rely on WiFi Calling now. The SureSignal was no use. I spent more time talking to Technical than getting on with my work. Got fed up with being told not to turn it off and felt uncomfortable leaving it on all the time, particularly when I wasn't here. Wish I'd never spent the money on it.

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@GillyJay

If you change your mind, please follow the instructions Amanda sent you by private message so our team can get in touch and send you a replacement.