Solution

Sure Signal - Call Audio Quality Issues

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

• Poor audio quality on both outbound and inbound calls
  • Particularly affects customers using a Virgin Media cable connection

If you’re only experiencing poor audio quality one-way (for example, the call sounds fine to you, but the person you are calling reports poor quality), then this is most likely due to insufficient bandwidth on your broadband connection and is not an issue with your Sure Signal.

Troubleshooting:

If the person you are calling can’t hear you, this is usually caused by low upload speeds.

If you can't hear the person you've called, this is due to low download speeds.

Check if your broadband connection meets the minimum requirements.

Please run the broadband speed checker.

If your connection fails any part of the test, this indicates an issue with your Internet Service Provider and you’ll need to contact them to discuss this further.

Your connection speed will vary throughout the day, so we recommend running it at various times to get an accurate reading.

Check for planned maintenance.
Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

Sure Signal version 1

• Connect device to internet and power supply

• Press and hold down the reset button (located near the internet port) until end of the process which will be indicated

• Remove the power cable at back of the unit and wait for five seconds

• Reconnect the power cable back to device

• Wait for the LED sequence to flash from top to bottom and back to top

• Wait for five seconds

• Release the reset button

• Within 10 minutes, all the 4 LEDs will start to flash in sequence – 1st & 3rd then 2nd & 4th then 1st & 3rd – with the sequence repeated. This sequence indicates the start of the factory reset procedure.

Sure Signal version 2

• Press and hold down reset button – located near the internet port

• Wait for all the LED (power + 2 white LED) to light up for few seconds (power LED will always remain lit)

• Wait for five seconds

• Within 10 minutes, 2 white LEDs will start flashing continuously – power LED will always remain constant in addition (unless there is an issue with local connectivity)

Sure Signal version 3

• Press and hold down reset button – located near the internet port

• Wait for 20 seconds

• All the LEDs will temporarily switch off for about 10 seconds. The power LED will then light up and remain constant whilst white internet LED flashes continuously.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Move Your Sure Signal Away from the Router
Sometimes the Wi-Fi signal from the router can interfere with the 3G signal from the Sure Signal and this could result in poor audio quality.

In order to prevent this from happening, please ensure that your Sure Signal is moved away from the router as far as the cable will allow.

If you’re still experiencing poor audio quality, post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Think I may have solved the issue.

I changed my superhub Wireless to Channel 1 and suddenly I am downloading over the suresignal at 7.2Mbps rather than 300k.

I will update in the next 24/48 hours if this has really solved the problem or it is just a fluke.

View solution in original position

291 REPLIES 291

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hissing,

Thanks for the serial number; it’s showing that a location change has been detected.

I’ve removed the message from the systems so can you do a factory reset please?

So that the resync completes, can you do a factory reset for me:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove both the Ethernet cable and power lead
  • Re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights display, release the reset button
  • The Sure Signal will come online in about an hour
  • When the Sure Signal is back online, re-insert the Ethernet cable.

Let me know how you go on.

Cheers,

Andrew

googs_123
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've had nothing but problems with my Sure Signal since i got BT Inifinity. I've ready mixed messages with some people saying Sure SIgnal doesn't work with BT Infinity and others saying it does.

My Sure Signal has two white lights on it. The left one was steady switched on, and the right one switched on and steady when i made a call. The problem was that I got very poor audio quality on every incoming and outgoing call; every other word was crackled and calls were regularly dropped.

Before moving to BT Infinity everything worked fine. I've moved the box away from the home hub, but it made no difference.

I tried to reset the sure signal by holding down the reset button at the back. The sure signal seemed to reboot itself, but then the left white light flashed constantly for about 10 minutes. I tried unplugging the power and plugged it back in, same thing.

I tried to use my phone, I'm not getting 5 bars of 3g reception so it's not connecting to the sure signal. While making the call, the left white light stopped flashing. For about 5 minutes after ending the call, both of the white lights flash constantly. After that, it goes back to being the left light only to be flashing.

My sure signal serial number is 40114606847.

I've got a great upload and download speed, ping tests come back fine too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I have a Sure Signal and BT Infinity with the SS box right next to the BT Home Hub and white infinity box. I can assure you that the SS works perfectly with BT Infinity but it does need to be set up properly and the right ports opened.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

jeffkinn
TCP88

Edit
Delete
TCP5050

Edit
Delete
UDP500500

Edit
Delete
UDP45004500

Edit
Delete
UDP123123

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Mine just started working. I didn't open any of the ports or anything, no changes made since my last post. I'm not sure if it just took a while to reconfigure itself after the reset, but about 45 mins after the reset i got a text messaging from Voda saying my sure signal has changed location and to update the post code (the box didn't move anywhere and the post code is still saved in the sure signal settings in my online account).

Fingers crossed it remains working and stable.

Hi googs_123,

Thanks for the update, it's great to hear your Sure Signal is now fully working :Smiling:

If you do have any further questions, you know where we are.

Thanks

Andy

tegwch
1: Seeker

Do you know what the minimum upload speed is for sure signal to work ok. I can hear ok, however the person I am calling is having difficulty hearing me? I use Virgin media super hub, with an upload speed of 1.9mbs and download speed of 30mbs

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there everyone,

If you're still experiencing issues with call quality, please can you post the results of a speedtest along with your ISP and VSS serial number so I can raise this?

• ISP
  • Download speed
  • Upload speed

Cheers,

Lee

I cannot use my iPhone to call my customers, as they can't hear me, and I can't hear them.  I laso have a Blackberry Storm, which works perfectly (if I force it to 3G).  My daughter also has an iPhone4, nad she has exactly the same problems.

Details:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1990813661.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1990813661.png

ISP: BT

Suresignal SN: 21196783068

I have been through all of the troubleshooting tips, several times, to no avail.

Help!!

Hi, I have one of the new sure signals the Alcatel Lucent 9361plugin type.

This does not work, I have Virgin Media Broadband with decent download and decent upload http://www.speedtest.net/result/2355650446.png

I have not had a decent call since I had this device.  When connectedted if I run a speedtest off with phone with wireless off I get 300K up and 300K down.

Please can someone assist

Thanks
Mark