Solution

Sure Signal - Call Audio Quality Issues

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

• Poor audio quality on both outbound and inbound calls
  • Particularly affects customers using a Virgin Media cable connection

If you’re only experiencing poor audio quality one-way (for example, the call sounds fine to you, but the person you are calling reports poor quality), then this is most likely due to insufficient bandwidth on your broadband connection and is not an issue with your Sure Signal.

Troubleshooting:

If the person you are calling can’t hear you, this is usually caused by low upload speeds.

If you can't hear the person you've called, this is due to low download speeds.

Check if your broadband connection meets the minimum requirements.

Please run the broadband speed checker.

If your connection fails any part of the test, this indicates an issue with your Internet Service Provider and you’ll need to contact them to discuss this further.

Your connection speed will vary throughout the day, so we recommend running it at various times to get an accurate reading.

Check for planned maintenance.
Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

Sure Signal version 1

• Connect device to internet and power supply

• Press and hold down the reset button (located near the internet port) until end of the process which will be indicated

• Remove the power cable at back of the unit and wait for five seconds

• Reconnect the power cable back to device

• Wait for the LED sequence to flash from top to bottom and back to top

• Wait for five seconds

• Release the reset button

• Within 10 minutes, all the 4 LEDs will start to flash in sequence – 1st & 3rd then 2nd & 4th then 1st & 3rd – with the sequence repeated. This sequence indicates the start of the factory reset procedure.

Sure Signal version 2

• Press and hold down reset button – located near the internet port

• Wait for all the LED (power + 2 white LED) to light up for few seconds (power LED will always remain lit)

• Wait for five seconds

• Within 10 minutes, 2 white LEDs will start flashing continuously – power LED will always remain constant in addition (unless there is an issue with local connectivity)

Sure Signal version 3

• Press and hold down reset button – located near the internet port

• Wait for 20 seconds

• All the LEDs will temporarily switch off for about 10 seconds. The power LED will then light up and remain constant whilst white internet LED flashes continuously.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Move Your Sure Signal Away from the Router
Sometimes the Wi-Fi signal from the router can interfere with the 3G signal from the Sure Signal and this could result in poor audio quality.

In order to prevent this from happening, please ensure that your Sure Signal is moved away from the router as far as the cable will allow.

If you’re still experiencing poor audio quality, post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Think I may have solved the issue.

I changed my superhub Wireless to Channel 1 and suddenly I am downloading over the suresignal at 7.2Mbps rather than 300k.

I will update in the next 24/48 hours if this has really solved the problem or it is just a fluke.

View solution in original position

291 REPLIES 291

hunter57
2: Seeker

Hi,

Broadband Speed Checker link is not working.

"Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to vodafone.femtolite.epitiro.com

Suggestions:

Thanks

Blueoyster

Here’s what I did to fix this. I have a Linksys router, and in the menu pages, accessed through my internet browser,  I found the QofS (Quality of Service) settings ... in my case it was under the “Applications and Gaming” tab.

After enabling the QofS , I found two sections entitled “Device Priority” and “Ethernet Port Priority”.

The first let me prioritise traffic to two nominated devices (eg. a mobile phone ) over and above any other traffic on the router. Here I needed to enter the MAC addresses of the two phones I picked.

The second let me prioritise traffic through one particular port on the back of the router, again over and above any other traffic on the router. Here, I picked the Port number into which the Ethernet cable from the Sure Signal was plugged.

After saving the settings, I checked the quality of the calls and they were noticeably better.

Good luck! 

dbeggs
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

hi

when making calls or receiving calls using sure signal, the call keeps breaking up, this only happens when using sure signal. i have had sure signal for a while and this has only started to happen, the signal on the phone is full & am receiving 3g. i have tried reseting sure signal & also re-registering it with no joy. is there a fault with the sure signal??

probably not! the tech team will ask you to give them some speed tests

www.speedtest.net

audio quality is normally down to poor speeds

FDH

I changed from O2 broadband due to slow broadband speed to BT infinity. I have gone from 2mb to 55mb download speed , and from 0.5mb to 9mb upload. I had no issue with call quality on O2 despite the slow speeds, yet with BT I am getting reports from people I am talking to that the audio is cutting out. I can hear them perfectly. I have tried the following: Checked broadband speed.Download and upload speed is FAST , moved sure signal as far away as possible from router, Reset sure signal, Reset BT router . Anyone tell me if there are issues with Sure Signal and BT infinity and if so, is there a fix? Thanks Chris

Hi thaigreencurry,

There are no specific issues with this combination other than a specific additional port to set up. Can you check the below items for me?

Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called "Universal Plug-n-Play" or UPnP, which will setup port-forwarding for you automatically. If you have a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may be required to enter these settings in manually.

The following details list the IP addresses and Port Numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For detailed instructions on how to do this, we recommend either contacting your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or referring to the Default Guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:
Port 50 - TCP/IP
Port 4500 - UDP
Port 500 - UDP
Port 123 - UDP

Port 8 - TCP/IP

Port 1723 (BT Customers only) - TCP/UDP

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your Router will also need to be able to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS Server address via DHCP.

Check your MTU settings

Find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model of router so you’ll need to hunt around for it.

Change the value of the MTU size to 1500, which ensures that data packets aren't lost if the Sure Signal will only handle a smaller size. If this is too high for the router, set this to the highest available level and let us know.

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.

• Perform hard rest of the VSS unit by
  • Hold in the reset button until all the light go solid
  • Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  • Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  • Wait for all of the lights to come on the release the reset button

The VSS will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This may take anything up to 6 hours.

If these do not resolve things, please post the serial number of your Sure Signal for me so we can take a closer look.

Dave

I have call quality issues as well. Can you help please?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2995338374.png

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  api.home [192.168.1.254]

2    16 ms    12 ms    15 ms  172.16.11.7

3     *        *        *     Request timed out.

4    12 ms    23 ms    12 ms  217.41.216.45

5    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  217.32.147.218

6    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  217.41.168.191

7    13 ms    13 ms    14 ms  217.41.168.109

8    14 ms    14 ms    14 ms  acc2-10GigE-0-2-0-5.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1

59.249.227]

9    17 ms    15 ms    16 ms  core1-te0-0-0-15.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.

249.171]

10    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  peer1-xe-8-2-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.

193.129]

11    15 ms    15 ms    16 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]

12    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  85.205.116.10

13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

14     *        *        *     Request timed out.

15     *        *        *     Request timed out.

16     *        *        *     Request timed out.

17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

19     *        *        *     Request timed out.

20     *        *        *     Request timed out.

21     *        *        *     Request timed out.

22     *        *        *     Request timed out.

23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

24     *        *        *     Request timed out.

25     *        *        *     Request timed out.

26     *        *        *     Request timed out.

27     *        *        *     Request timed out.

28     *        *        *     Request timed out.

29     *        *        *     Request timed out.

30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hissing,

The speeds and traceroute look OK. Can you confirm the serial number of the Sure Signal for me as well, though?

Also, can you check the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) setting on the router? This is like a letterbox - any data packets which are too large will be blocked, which causes a loss of quality.

The MTU should be set to 1500 if possible. If it won't go that high, make sure it's set to the maximum possible.

Let us know if that helps.

Dave

Hi,

The serial number of my Sure Signal is: 21228242257.

I will try raising the MTU to 1500 as you suggest and let you know whether that fixes it.

Regards

Sidney (Hissing)