main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Vodafone Sure Signal

Sure Signal Stopped Working Now I have No access to my account!

Highlighted
4: Newbie

My Suresignal has stopped working.  I have NO signal at my home (no mobile providers do) so bought into Vodafone because of SureSignal in the 1st place.  Should not be an issue as I can use WiFi Calling; after all, that is what Vodafone itself recommends.

Unfortunately, Vodafone does not support SMS on WifiCalling which means that I cannot receive the login code required to log into my Vodafone account when I am at home; same issue with my bank etc.

What kind of nonsense is this - is it really the case that Vodafone has not thought this through?  (That is a retorical question as clearly they have not).

View more options
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Hi @m1kegibson, what's happening when you're trying to connect to the Sure Signal and what lights, if any are on the device? Also, how long have you had the Sure Signal for? 

View more options
Highlighted

No lights at all. It’s dead. I managed to get through to Vodafone support and they have confirmed it is dead. I cannot obtain a replacement as it’s discontinued. When I asked how to obtain a login code when I was unable to receive SMS, there was a lot of confusion and I am not sure they really got the issue; ie asked if I had the right phone number on my account! Gave up in the end. 

View more options
Highlighted

I'm sorry to hear that we couldn't give much encouraging news regarding your Sure Signal! We can still check a couple of things to see if we can get yours up and running, we'd need the following information, so please send it to us via social media here. Be sure to also add in a link back to this forum so you're not having to repeat yourself 😊

• Sure Signal serial number (from the back of the device) and which version you're using
  • IP address from whatsmyip.net
  • Speed results from speedtest.net
View more options
Highlighted

I have already spent some time with support expert and have established that the SureSignal is dead. I now have to hike to the top of the hill near my home to get a signal so I can receive SMS necessary log into my bank account; Vodafone account etc. Have to run up/down the hill to make sure the code does not time out!  Not ideal but good for my health I guess. 

View more options
Highlighted

We're always looking to improve our coverage @m1kegibson. Keep an eye on our Network Status Checker for any planned upgrades in your area.

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

I also have a recently deceased Sure Signal, meaning I get no Vodafone signal at all in the house now.  I also cannot receive or send text messages. I have been on to Vodafone about this multiple times. The most frustrating is calling the helpline, only to be told I'm going to be sent a text message which I can click to get more help!  Which of course I can't receive! It was fine when I had a Sure Signal. That system failed shortly after I upgraded my phone and agreed to a new contract, and I have since been told that Sure Signal no longer exists and I have to use WiFi calling instead. Whilst this is fine for making calls, it means I cannot send or receive texts, a service I am paying for. Because I can't get texts, I cannot use two factor authentication on numerous websites.  It simply isn't good enough to withdraw a service and force your customers onto a new service which doesn't meet basic requirements, and the fact that I cannot increase my online security because of Vodafone's failure to provide me with a mobile signal is even more distressing. I also find it unacceptable that I am only able to make calls by Wi-Fi calling - Wi-Fi is of course a separate service which I also have to pay for. I am a loyal Vodafone customer and  I would like Sure Signal to be resurrected, or a decent alternative provided that will enable me to receive a decent mobile signal at home.

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @KDP, we understand the importance of being connected and we're always looking for ways to improve our service. You can check out the all the features of WiFi Calling on our website here. We know that this doesn't cover text messages, however, if we were ever to add this service, we would update our website. 

View more options
Highlighted

I am hoping your deceased Sure Signal has not been thrown away. There is an excellent/brilliant repair guy. You need to make sure you do this soon as Vodafone suspend unused Sure Signal devices after three months. Google Andy Fraser Electronics to find him. Also, if you ever need to reset, this worked for me.

Hold down the Re-set button for about 15 seconds

Keep holding and switch off power

Keep holding and switch power on

Keep holding until all three lights are steady

Release Re-set button. It could take an hour or more for the Sure Signal to connect to Hub. But it did work!

View more options
Highlighted

I'm amazed you say 'IF we ever add this service' as no end of helpful Vodafone support people claim they are working on this. Is it true? Can you imagine trying to get verification texts from a bank? Or trying to log in to Vodafone account? Surely somebody can do something before I have to switch to EE who support Wi-Fi texting.

View more options
Highlighted

If EE can enable sms with Wi-Fo calling, why can't Vodafone?  Perhaps you could get in touch with their Helpdesk and ask them.....

View more options
Highlighted

Thank you for your advice.  The reset did not work, unfortunately, no lights coming on at all, but I will google your contact as suggested.

All very frustrating and can't believe Vodafone is not taking this seriously given so many people rely on SMS to help prevent fraud via 2-factor authentication.

View more options
Highlighted

I just got my Sure Signal back from Andy Fraser Electronics. I bought it a few months back and it still works, but because of the track record of failures, I sent it to him to have the usual four capacitors replaced with high quality ones. He sent it back by return of post. Plugged it in and it worked within ten minutes. As it is already registered, there is nothing to do. Let me know your progress with this.

View more options
Highlighted

Vodafone UK Leave WiFi Calling Users Waiting for SMS Support

Wednesday, July 1st, 2020 (12:01 am) - Score 18,292

Mobile operator Vodafone’s recent decision to stop selling their femtocell based Sure Signal 3G router on 30th April 2020, while instead encouraging use of Wi-Fi Calling, has one significant flaw. The latter still doesn’t support the ability to send and receive text (SMS) messages (it’s been listed as coming “soon” since 2018).

Just to recap. Sure Signal (v3) is a small device that plugs into a fixed line broadband ISP network (minimum connection speed required is 1Mbps), which enables it to harness your home internet connection in order to boost an indoor 3Gmobile signal using the 2100MHz band. Such devices have been useful for people who live in locations with either a weak indoor mobile signal or no signal at all.

Unfortunately Vodafone decided to stop selling Sure Signal on 30th April 2020 and instead promoted use of a similar service called Wi-Fi Calling (VoWiFi), which has been available for several years and enables consumers to harness their home WiFi connection in order to make calls.

The catch with their WiFi based calling service is that it is dependent upon support existing via your Smartphone, although many modern mobiles now have this. But that’s not the only issue.

The Wi-Fi Calling feature can also work for SMS messages and indeed it does on some other operators (e.g. Three UK and EE), although Vodafone still hasn’t added this feature and that’s despite saying in 2018 it would be coming “soon” (they repeated this again last year too).

Until now this wasn’t such a concern, since Vodafone’s customers could just take a Sure Signal device, but the withdrawal of that before Wi-Fi Calling can do SMS is causing concern. Many services use SMS as part of two-factor authentication (e.g. banks, Vodafone’s own account system etc.) and a lot of those don’t work with alternatives like WhatsApp or Apple’s iMessage (many people still don’t use those platforms in general).

A Vodafone Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk:

“We’re aiming to have SMS over WiFi available for both Android and iOS devices by the end of the year.”

In fairness we know that adding SMS to WiFi Calling is very complex to implement and requires a lot of testing, which might help to explain why Vodafone have been slow to implement it. We should point out that O2 UK are in a similar boat to Vodafone and the last update we had from them was toward the end on 2019, in which the operator said via Twitter that “we hope to see it available in 2020.” We’re still waiting.

In the meantime Vodafone’s existing Sure Signal devices will continue to be supported, but the decision to withdraw them from sale will do little to help new customers who might need one. Not to mention that existing customers who suffer a hardware failure could also run into problems (arguably Sure Signal devices don’t have the best reputation for reliability).

View more options
Highlighted

will do!  good to know....

View more options