Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V3 Dead - Internal Chip Exploded - Take 2

simpsonp
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Vodafone Support,

I've posed this once but the message has disappeared so I'm trying again, apologies if this results in 2 posts appearing.

My Sure Signal V3, purchased in 2014, has died and produced an electrical smell. It also rattled when I unplugged it for examination. On opening the case I found that the power controler IC "U1" has overheated sufficiently to explode and throw off part of its ceramic casing.

Although I was not present at the time, such violent destruction will likely have been accompanied by a dangerous electric arc and having come to this forum I see that a number of other people have also experienced this type of failure.

I have attached an image showing the failed chip U1, immediately to the left of the large black capacitor at top centre. The violence of the event is reflected in the melted metal at the right side of the chip and in the fact that the casing of the TNY279PN chip, which I have placed at the top left of the circuit board, has been blown off.
I do not believe that consumer devices should fail in this unsafe manner and request that Vodafone relace the device with a safer version.

Regards, Peter

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @simpsonp

If you have not already please unplug it now. 

The SS v3 has a 24 month manufacturing warranty but even if this has expired customer services will still deal with a failed v3 as they are aware that some units have failed. 

This thread holds further info > Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Blew-Up-Exploded-Hot-Burnt-out-amp-Dead.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks, it is unplugged and will stay that way, hopefully one of the Vodafone moderators will PM me to let me know how to procceed.

Regards, Peter

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@simpsonp - We can help to get this sorted for you and thanks for posting as soon as it’s happened.

Please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message. ☺️

Thanks Gemma, I've responded to your PM and you should now have my support request.

Regards, Peter.

Hi all,

Just to close off this post for the benefit of others, here's what happened after my initial post:

• I received a PM with instructions on how to update a support ticket that the Vodafone support team had created.
  • I received a call from a polite and competent gentleman who confirmed my address and explained that they would put a new unit in the post.
  • The new SureSignal arrived the next day by DPD courier.
  • The brand new unit configured easily through the Vodafone account web interface and is working well after several weeks use.
  • The SureSignal still runs warm but is definitely cooler than the unit which failed and consumes just 2 watts versus about 7 watts for the failed unit.

Overall I feel that the Vodafone team handled this issue well and at no time was I put into a position of having to fight to get the unit exchanged.

Regards, Peter

Hi Peter..

Glad you've got sorted out without the fight that so many others are experiencing via 191 and webchat.

Without myself getting involved in Trading Standards back in May 2016 where Vodafone reluctantly agreed to exchange any device showing signs of burn out or power failure then you would not have had it as easy as it has been for you with your exchange and your good self, as many others before you would have been told to purchase your own replacement.

I will agree that getting replacements via the very 'public' forum is a lot easier than going to a store, calling 191 or using live chat as it easier to fob someone off knowing others won't be getting involved as is the case on an open forum.

These devices are still a liabilty and there is still risk even with the later ones of failure as they are of the same 'weak' design as the originals.

This is the reason that any failed device should still be reported as there is a case for thorough investigation and a recall once the facts have been proven.

There are a number of users of replacement newer devices which have also failed which again shows there is a case to answer so this is far from the end of the road with this issue.

Therefore,  I will again insist that any failed unit must be reported to Trading Standards and any difficulties in obtaining a replacement to use the information put on my original posting on the subject.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

Please report any failures and findings to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct - details below.

Any refusals to replace the device,  refer to first page of posting here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Blew-Up-Exploded-Hot-B...

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)