Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V3 exploded

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi folks,

Has anyone recently had an issue with exploding sure signal box?  On Saturday I switched it on, just after which there was a loud bang and a cloud of smoke. As the unit was clearly dead, I opened up the box expecting to find a blown fuse which could replace, but instead found a mass of blackened plastic. The only possible clue, for a few weeks it was often only connecting on the second power up.

I did find some old reports but nothing with a 'solution'. We had no choice but to order a new box as it's needed for working from home, and the old box is presumably out of warranty. Although, given the seriousness (danger posed) of the fault, I think a goodwill refund for the replacement (£69) is perfectly reasonable. I'm also boggled as to why these units ship without fuses and why they did not do a recall given the media coverage I've since found.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/21/vodafone_femtocell_brownouts/ 
Be grateful for answers to these.
Many thanks.
Marc

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Please take a look at the first page in this thread > Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Blew-Up-Exploded-Hot-Burnt-out-amp-Dead.

The Sure Signal comes with a 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty but as some v3 SS have had issues customer service have been known to replace them even if they are over the 24 months.

Its worth asking them if they can do something for you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hoping Vodafone support will respond to this post or my post on Twitter. 

All affected customers should be refunded / replaced foc.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous - I’m sorry to hear what’s happened with your Sure Signal.

Please send your details to us by following the steps in this private message, including the information of what’s happened. We’ll then be in touch as soon as we can. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Gemma, many thanks. DM sent with details.
Edit 1:11 pm - Able to register users now.
Edit: 12:34 - Box just connected, but still having issues adding numbers.

I registered the new device yesterday and it's not connecting or letting me add the famaily numbers. I've reset, and I've tried powering down and back up, and left on overnight. No change,
Power light on / Light one (Globe) - slow flash
Download - varies from 2.4 to 3 mbps

Upload - varies from 0.31 to 0.34 mbps
IP - 87.115.223.75
S/n - 42173155963

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 2 ms 2 ms 3 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 44 ms 42 ms 43 ms 410.xe-2-2-0.central10.psb-bng01.plus.net [84.93.253.96]
3 43 ms 43 ms 43 ms 411.be5.psb-ir02.plus.net [84.93.253.103]
4 43 ms 43 ms 44 ms 195.99.125.138
5 44 ms 44 ms 45 ms host213-121-193-203.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.193.203]
6 98 ms 44 ms 44 ms t2c3-et-8-1-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.240]
7 43 ms 44 ms 44 ms 166-49-211-254.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.254]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out. (and so on)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gemma
I sent off the form 2 days ago as per instruction and have heard nothing, so just tried again. 

@Gemma wrote:

@Anonymous - I’m sorry to hear what’s happened with your Sure Signal.

Please send your details to us by following the steps in this private message, including the information of what’s happened. We’ll then be in touch as soon as we can. 

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Anonymous I've taken a look into your Sure Signal and since your last post, I can see that you've successfully added more numbers - are you still experiencing any issues?
We haven't yet received your email. I've sent you another private message with details on how to get in touch.

Please make sure you click the link located under the word 'here'.

Sparky

Have you reported this failure to Trading Standards as well as thier refusal to replace in light they agreed to this.

It's only when they decide they have had enough complaints will they act against Vodafone.

I urge you to read the long running thread below and give Vodafone 28 days written notice to refund your costs for replacement otherwise start small claims recovery as they should have offered a replacement from the outset, see page one of the thread 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Blew-Up-Exploded-Hot-B...

Reporting to Trading Standards will also be useful for a claim in that it will validate your details if required.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)