Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal just exploded!

cupsandstring
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Had my Sure Signal since Friday, was sitting watching TV when it flashed bright white and made a very loud bang, tripping all the circuit breakers. Nothing was being done to it at the time and nothing was being used though the pass-through plug. Will be going to the Vodafone shop tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience? Will be getting my money back instead of a replacement if that's the case, if we hadn't been here it could have started a fire!

46 REPLIES 46

Hi

Yes,  there is a risk with the replacement,  however you can make the device much safer and ensure that power is shut without tripping the mains supply.

It is important that the SureSignal is mounted vertically with air ventilation around the case to prevent overheating.

Obtain a small extension or 4 gang strip and mount it on a wall or other suitable surface. Change the 13amp fuse for a 1amp one and then plug this into the mains.

This means should it fail the fuse in the extension lead will pop long before anything catastrophic can happen.

Ensure you don't overload the 1amp fuse by plugging anything else into the strip plug that overloads it.

The reason the SureSignal is exploding is that the 2amp fuse boult inside is inadequate meaning it fails to blow when the power supply fails causing a surge.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

@clairesc2k  @cupsandstring

Suggest you also read this

Cliff_g

Happy migrant to Three Mobile

May 2021 UPDATED SureSignal information including SureSignal Switch-Off and WiFi calling options

Great, I never knew this was such a widespread and dangerous problem. I had had my sure signal at home for over 2 years, the other week it blew with the most horrendous burning smell from the unit. Luckily we were in and my son was in the sitting room and could tell us exactly where the problem originated. It was smoldering so I threw it straight into the outside bin! I also have one at work which is now worrying??

Regarding the home one I guess I have now destroyed the evidence and will just have to purchase a new one. Are new ones safer?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@sappo2008 So we're able to help you with this, please contact us using the link in the private message I've sent. 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@clairesc2k I’m disappointed to hear this.

So we can look into everything, I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch.

Getting a replacement will be frustrating as I, fed up with constantly calling customer services, demanded Vodafone ring me back with answers.....they said that was not possible as they could only take incoming calls! These units (which do have a known issue) are permanently out of stock with no known date (I have been without now for a month)

This is why it is important to contact the BBC..

PLEASE DO SO IF NOT DONE SO ALREADY..

It takes less than 5 minutes and your time will not be wasted...

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

I have emailed Watchdog, will contact trading standards later. Thank you for the info.

I have now contacted Trading standards, looks like they are not going to act on it. I contacted Watchdog but not had so much as an acknowlegdement. 

Not going to hold my breath

I contacted my Trading Standards (Hertfordshire) and they asked me to send them the faulty device., which I have done. Do Trading Standards talk to each other across the country or are they all independent?