Ask

Solution

Sure Signal not transmitting a 3G signal

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue presents the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one and two are solid which indicates the Sure Signal is connected, but isn't giving a 3G signal.
  • Light four doesn’t light up or lights occasionally and then goes out at certain times of day.

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front): 

• The power and system lights are both solid, indicating that the Sure Signal is giving a 3G signal.
  • Your registered phones don’t pick up a 3G signal.

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• Power, internet and service lights are solid and the ‘in use’ light is either solid or flashing
  • Your registered phones don’t pick up a 3G signal

Troubleshooting steps:

Check that your broadband connection meets our minimum requirements.
Please run the broadband speed checker.

If your connection fails any part of the test, this indicates an issue with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and you’ll need to contact them to discuss this.

Your connection speed will vary throughout the day, so we recommend running it at various times to get an accurate reading.

To ensure the Sure Signal broadcasts at the correct frequency, it sends and receives small amounts of data to a Network Time Protocol Server hosted by ourselves. If these packets of data take longer than 240ms to make a round-trip, the accuracy can no longer be ensured and so the Sure Signal will automatically stop broadcasting and light four will go out.

Check for planned maintenance.

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

Configure your Router Firewall.
The IP address and ports used for NTP (Network Time Protocol) synchronisation are listed below. You may need these to configure the correct firewall settings on your router.

This step isn’t usually necessary, but it may help if you’re using a complex network (such as a corporate or office LAN), or a complex router.

We recommend contacting your ISP or router manufacturer directly for detailed instructions on exactly how to change your router settings. Alternatively, select your router make and model over at http://portforward.com and follow the default guide there.

Destination IP addresses:

• 212.183.131.128/26

• Protocol = UDP
  • Port = 123

Please note that in the list of IP addresses above, the notation "212.183.131.128/26"means the entire range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Perform a PathPing to our server.

In order to check if the Sure Signal's able to communicate with our NTP server, a PathPing can be performed as a test. In order to do this, you'll need to open the command prompt in Windows as follows:

• For XP just click Start > Run and type cmd then hit enter
  • For Vista/Windows 7, press Start and type 'cmd' into the search bar
  • Right click the result and click ‘Run As Administrator’

Once you're in the command prompt, type in PathPing 212.183.133.181. This will perform a trace route to the NTP server and will show you the route it took to get there. One of the columns will display packet loss, if this occurs before hitting our server, you'll need to contact your ISP for further assistance.

If you've completed all the troubleshooting steps above and not identified the cause of the issue, your Sure Signal may be faulty. Please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello

serial number 21224717989 version 1

the sure signal stopped working a few days ago after a lont internet outage (2 hours), presented with only light 1 flashing.

I have done a little troubleshooting and have now manged to get to light 1 and 2 solid.

how is it looking from your end?

Internet speed >5 Mbps ping normally <55ms.

pathping 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>pathping 212.183.133.181

Tracing route to 212.183.133.181 over a maximum of 30 hops

0 XPS-M133064BIT.int.hillblock.com [192.168.1.104]
1 WRT54GL [192.168.1.251]
2 192.168.1.250
3 losubs.subs.dsl5.wh-man.zen.net.uk [62.3.83.10]
4 no-dns-yet-62-3-86-29.zen.co.uk [62.3.86.29]
5 ge-2-0-0-0.cr1.wh-man.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.49]
6 ge-3-0-0-0.cr2.th-lon.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.45]
7 ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
8 85.205.116.14
9 * * *
Computing statistics for 200 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 XPS-M133064BIT.int.hillblock.com [192.168.1.104]
0/ 100 = 0% |
1 1ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% WRT54GL [192.168.1.251]
0/ 100 = 0% |
2 1ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 192.168.1.250
1/ 100 = 1% |
3 44ms 2/ 100 = 2% 1/ 100 = 1% losubs.subs.dsl5.wh-man.zen.net.uk [62.3.83.10]
0/ 100 = 0% |
4 45ms 1/ 100 = 1% 0/ 100 = 0% no-dns-yet-62-3-86-29.zen.co.uk [62.3.86.29]
0/ 100 = 0% |
5 46ms 1/ 100 = 1% 0/ 100 = 0% ge-2-0-0-0.cr1.wh-man.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.49]
1/ 100 = 1% |
6 54ms 2/ 100 = 2% 0/ 100 = 0% ge-3-0-0-0.cr2.th-lon.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.45]
0/ 100 = 0% |
7 54ms 2/ 100 = 2% 0/ 100 = 0% ldngw1.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.209]
98/ 100 = 98% |
8 --- 100/ 100 =100% 0/ 100 = 0% 85.205.116.14

Trace complete.

Can you see the sure signal from your end?

Thanks in advance

IAn

FIXED

Came back about an hour later and it is working OK

Don't you just hate it when that happens

Ian

View solution in original position

501 REPLIES 501

blink blink blink solid!

blink blink vlink blink blink blink blink blink......out

out

blink    blink     blink     blink   blink   blink ......out

out

blink blink blink solid!

out

blink blink blink blink blink blink ......out

out

blink blink blink solid!

out

blink blink blink blink blink blink ......out

out

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

whats your internet speed like?

Using speedtest.net and checking with BT

8 Mb dl and 1.1 Mb Upload

more annoyed by the continual , just turn it on and offf again by the Technical helpline with promises that it will work

Its not and I am   p'd off

Probably like most posting on here I've had real problems getting my VSS to register and work - the subject of a different thread. However, after much pushing and shoving VF finally seam to have it working.

I get the full 4 bar signal on my HTC wildfire (original version) and good audio when I use the phone. Now I know the literature says that "you should now have a full 3G signal strength on your phone" but you don't believe the literature do you at least not for this little box. I don't get either 3G or H displayed - my phone network mode is set to "WCDMA only" but there's no difference if I switch to auto mode.

Having dared to reboot the VSS etc nothing has changed and I still get a full signal strength ..... phew! ..... and switched the phone off and on etc.

Now I am probably being naive but where I live in North Norfolk there is no such thing as a 3G signal so in some ways I wasn't expecting to get a 3G signal in my house once this box worked - just a full network signal.

Am I missing the point here or just being stupid?

:smileyembarrassed:

T

Are you saying that theres no 3g/H icon on your phone?, there should be, doesnt matter if your part of town doesnt normally recieve a 3g signal, thats what the ss is for, theres still an issue here. Does the second(phone light) ever come on when in uuse? Im beginning to think that theres def a problem with 401232 and the batch they came fom. You do have the data turned on right? htc phones can turn the radio and data off seperate.

If vodafone was working on something they wouldnt let you, they just keep you wondering and tryin to fix the ss when its them causing the issue, it is possible there still working on the server. Most of us were down  for a week not so long ago, and they never said anything at all.

Do the VF technical guys have any answer to my VSS only connecting to one phone, or should I say only one phone connecting to the VSS?

SIM cards have been swapped around ruling our faults with the phones.

I've done factory re sets galore, removed the affected numbers as users and re added them later followed by more re sets...

HELP....!

Hi again Boe and once again thanks for the post/help etc.

Correct there is no 3G/H icon on the phone whether set to WCDMA or Auto Mode.

When I make a phone call the second - phone - light comes on solid and goes off when I hang up as expected.

Yes have the data (Mobile Widget) turned on, WiFi off - but doesn't matter if thats on or off of course - and GPS Widget turned on.

Also to confirm:

Settings... Wireless & Networks ....Mobile Network .... box is ticked and following on:

Mobile Networks ....... Access Name is Vodafone Contract WAP: wap.vodafone.co.uk  and Network Mode GSM/WCDMA Auto.

I have data roaming switched off and shouldn't make any difference.

Other than the 3G/H capability the VSS is working fine , I get full signal strength throughout the house and good connectivity/ audio quality - which is why I wanted the VSS in the first place.

But if its suppose to have 3G/H then I have to ask why ain't I getting it?

If you need any more info Boe just ask.

Tony (Topknot)

allegoricus
13: Advanced Member

I don't know whether it's the same for HTC phones but default behaviour for iPhones is that, if WiFi is available, the phone will always use it in preference to 3G.

This is borne out by my own observations: while at home, switching off the phone's WiFi service results in immediate appearance of the 3G icon (unknown at home prior to the VSS becoming live). Conversely, switching the phone's WiFi back on results in the disappearance of the 3G icon, to be replaced by the WiFi one.

Peter