Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal not working

wayside59
4: Newbie

My sure signal has not been working since sometime this morning. Old style box and only have power light on, have tried resetting several times and re booting router, which normally cures any problems but to no avail.  The internet connection light does not flash and does not even look like trying to make a connection following reset.

32 REPLIES 32

Hi guc925,

I’m pleased to see that you are back up and running.

@ wayside59, thanks for the updates here.

To be honest both of the traceroutes look to be fine so there isn’t any clear reason for this however, please keep us updated if it goes off again so we can get our support teams involved in an investigation for you.

James

I am now also having problems!
Box 9 mths old 2 nd style box
Went away last monday all fine returned last night just power light on. Re started unit and after a while it worked for a few mins. Went again today so phone support who asked me to restart and then wait 3 hours! Still no joy so rang again and was told it was being reset vodafones end. Stilk not working! Internet fine on pc so what is going on please?

Hi miltb120,

There are various things which may be the cause for this, not just with the Sure Signal but also the connection itself if the ISP have made any changes, such as an IP range change.

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your Sure Signal serial number

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Lee but I'm afraid the same problem still persists.

At 16:15 I saw your reply and did a Factory reset:

• Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)  OK
  • Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead     OK
  • Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button    After a while the LEDs flash once in sequence then it returned to just Power LED on, then I released the rest button.
  • The VSS should come online within the hour  Now 17:20 and box remains dead with just Power LED permanently lit.  Repeated all Troubleshooting steps with identical results to those I posted earlier today.

What's the next step?

guc925

I have been having exactly the same problems over the past 2-3 days.  I am really fed up with Vodafone. They must know that there is a major problem with these units as so many are complaining about the same problem.  Nothing I have tried has worked, come on Vodafone at least you could put an apology on the forum and try and sort it out

It looks like my Sure Signal restarted providing service about 1am last night and is still working now.

Do you know what the cause of this 48 hour outage was and how to prevent it in future?

guc925

My VSS has gone again sometime over night. I tried 2 resets this morning with no success, but then last time it took about 4 and 12 hours before any life restored.  Where is the problem? If it is at Vodafone's end it would save everyone a lot of time and frustration if they just told us.

Hi guys,

We've not had any alerts indicating an issue at this end. The "power light only" issue specifically refers to the Sure Signal not connecting to our network, and as such the issue is most commonly something affecting the connection itself.

wayside59 and digiman100 - Please can you follow the instructions on this post of the troubleshooting thread and respond with the results of each test on that thread for me? This way we can get the information we need to be help resolve this for you, and buy posting there we can keep everyone reporting similar symptoms in one place. Should we need to advise everybody of any updates at any time, this makes it easier to do so.

Dave

Hello again,

VSS has been operating OK for a couuple of days but this morning I had broadband connection and router upgraded and it has stopped working again only showing solid power LED.  Troubleshooter results as follows:

Physical Connection VSS<>Router is                                        OK

Ethernet Link light on, data light flashing                                    OK

Active internet connection elsewhere in network                    OK

Reboot modem/router                                                                Done, no change in VSS status

VSS has been assigned internal IP address via DHCP             OK, 192.168.1.71

(I can successfully ping this address)

(Also checked on Router that Upstream MTU is correctly set to 1500)

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops
  1     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  BTBusinessHub.home [192.168.1.254]
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  217.32.141.1
  3     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  217.32.140.206
  4    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  213.120.161.98
  5    11 ms     *       12 ms  217.41.222.22
  6    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  217.41.222.178
  7    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  acc1-10GigE-0-5-0-5.bm.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.159.
248.98]
  8    30 ms    23 ms    24 ms  core2-te0-3-0-16.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
48.30]
  9    19 ms    19 ms    19 ms  peer1-xe1-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
54.136]
 10    21 ms    23 ms    23 ms  LNDGW2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
 11    23 ms    22 ms    22 ms  85.205.116.10
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Router/ISP Details                                                                           BT Business Broadband Fibre

BT Business Hub 3.0

VSS S/N                                                                                         21196865576

Factory Reset                                                                                Done several times, no change in VSS status after several hours

Can you check if you can see my VSS and resync it please?

Thanks

guc925

Not sure if you did anything at your end but the VSS is back and working now about 7 hours after the factory reset.

regards

guc925