main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Vodafone Sure Signal

Sure Signal problems - light sequence flashing red, last two steady orange

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I have had a Sure Signal for years. We have V3. Out ISP is BT and always has been. We went onto fibre about 18 months ago. No problems. No other changes. No new router. No new IT in the house. Nothing.

About six months ago the Sure Sginal suddenly went to flashing red light and last two lights on steady orange.

I could get it to work again by turning of the router and resetting the sure signal. Very inconvenient, especailly when having to do it multiple times a day!

Reported the problem. Told all the usual rubbish repeatedly, ending with it is a problem with my internet connection and I had to contact BT and ask them to change our internet settings (this by the way I have attempted four times) to something which they said was only available to business accounts. 

I was sent a new Sure Signal in case there was an issue with my exisitng one. It is exactly the same. It will work for a little while and then not. There is no pattern to when the lights change. It does it when we are here, when we are out, overnight, anytime!

The net result is that we have three Vodafone accounts for mobiles which we cannot use as phones in the house.

I can see this problem over and over again in the forums but what I can't find is a solution. 

Two phones are out of contract now so maybe the solution is that we could all move to O2 or EE which offer signal in our area.

Any ideas anyone?

View more options
5 REPLIES 5

Hey @vcoda, thanks for getting in touch. From the light sequence you've described on your Sure Signal, it does sound like it's having issues authenticating over your broadband connection. This seems even more likely, as you've had a replacement and it's still doing the same thing. 

The easiest and slightly strangest way to figure this out, is to take your Sure Signal to another house and try it connected to their broadband. 

I know you've already contacted BT and tried to get this sorted, what did the previous advisers you've spoken to from Vodafone ask you to tell them? My best advice would be the following:

If you have a static IP address, you should contact your ISP and advise that you're trying to set up a VPN tunnel and that the IPsec is being blocked on an internal firewalled server within their network.
If you have a dynamic IP address, you should contact your ISP and advise that you're trying to setup a VPN tunnel and that the IPsec packet is being fragmented in transit.

View more options

I tried this once again. The same result. BT's smart hubs do not work like this and this is not possible. I feel perhaps the sure technology ha not kept up with that of ISP routers. However, you may be interested to know that when everyone else had given up on me when they read what you suggested (!)  I was able to speak to the technical experts at BT. They suggested I turned off 'smart set up' and any parental controls and so far this seems to have worked. If only someone could have told me that 6 months ago!  

View more options

I'm glad to hear they were able to resolve this for you @vcoda - it's a shame that they didn't advise this to you sooner! If you need any help in the future, please don't hesitate to get back to us on the Community 

View more options

Or maybe it's a shame Vodafone couldn't tell me this........

View more options

We wouldn't be able to advise on changing any settings with your router or Wi-Fi settings @vcoda as I can see you've mentioned your ISP isn't ourselves. We advise our customers to contact their ISP when needed should any changes need to be made to either of these things.

View more options