main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Vodafone Sure Signal

Sure Signal v2 - deregistered, but, dodgy 3Bay purchase?

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Just switched to Vodafone on the strength that only they seemed to be selling a booster device with any serious intent - especially as I have no intention of getting the household to upgrade phones just for WiFi calling etc... We are in an area that on the map shows 5/5 indoor signal for virtually all providers, but, we are the 150 year old houses in a deep dip so that's not the reality indoors for us.

I had heard that V3 devices were given away free on retention (my service only started today) but also saw that the v3 devices seemed to like heating the house albeit for a short but bright time. 

So I got myself a V2 device fairly cheap from 3Bay. But clean and in original box, sounds ok, not too dodgy or out of a skip....

It was deregistered and I had no problem adding it on my Vodafone account, getting the usual false hope of text message saying 'everythings GREAT! it's all registered' etc... within about 3 minutes.

I also have a Draytek 2850 with latest (05/2018) FW on BT Infinity and have done everything everyone else has done with these (ports open, fragmented packet, etc...), that have been more successful than me. Just for good measure I also then deregistered and re-registered the box, and have reset it locally several times.

But what concerns me is that the only light, other than the power light, I have ever seen on is the middle, 'Phone' light. This just flashes away for about 10 minutes, stops, no lights are on other than power, then it flashes away for another 10. It does this 3 times then it will just get stuck having only the power light on. (I have also tried a replacement 12V 2A PSU)

I can see it on the network, can see the ports are open, and the external IPs appearing, (217.x.x.x. etc...) so this is a bit annoying.

I have NEVER seen the first white light (signal bars) EVER come on, not even after a reset.

Is this perhaps just a faulty unit I should be returning? Firey faults aside, does the V3 play nicer than this or does it have the exact same issues with some routers? Do Vodafone still give them out, because without this SureSignal, we may as well go back to G1ffG4ff!

View more options
10 REPLIES 10
17: Community Champion

Vodafone was replacing some v3 units a while ago due to some of them.going dead @datadiffusion 

And yes some agents gave away sure signals if a person upgraded.

The sure signal as you know provides a 3G signal in the phone for a mobile phone to hook upto.

Sure Signals now come with a 12 month warranty.

It could be that the v2 is faulty which you may need to take up with the seller too.

You may find some help in 》 Vodafone-Sure-Signal-troubleshooting. 

And customer service on 191 or Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries  can check things at their end.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Hi @datadiffusion 

As this is a V2 device I am wondering if the Sure Signal you have purchased from ebay, although deregistered, has been removed from the network for non use, this would have been done after 12 months of the Sure Signal not being registered to an account.

If there are continued problems, it looks like this is going to be back to the ebay seller.

View more options

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that.

Ah well, I will just DM Voda via Twitter to have a look at it (have given them the SN) and will await the outcome, still time to send it back.

cheers for now!

View more options

Oh dear.

"

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch! I'm unable to reset your Sure Signal for you but you can do this yourself very easily. See below for steps

- Hold the reset button in for five seconds then release to reset
- The full factory reset of the device and the re-connection to the network can take anywhere between 20 minutes and six hours to complete.

You can find out more information on this here

vodafone.uk/310bHtT If you've got any further questions or queries please let me know. Lucy"

Is this a case of 'computer says no' - I have seen plenty of CS interactions on here checking and resetting or resyncing boxes remotely. I have just emailed again and got the same patronising 'here's how to press the reset button" instruction from a different person.

View more options

Did you add your username to the conversation on our social channels @datadiffusion, I can't seem to find you? Pop it onto your current chat and we'll be happy to double check this for you.

View more options

Hilariously I posted a link to the chat but I assume the CS attempted to use Chrome to view the forums as they said the link didn't work (you do know the forums don't work with Chrome any more, right?)

Anyway I have literally 2 minutes ago got the following reply, after having been told there was a 'mixup' yesterday and then was asked for more details...

"Perfect thanks! I've just spoke to our Technical team and they've advised that your Sure Signal has been re-synced after 2 hours from now. You'll just need to restart your phone after 2 hours and make sure that the data connection is set to 3G. Danny"

There are still NO lights on my box except power, but monitoring on the router shows that it is chattering away and making several connections with Vodafone...

View more options

So this is odd.

Just about to assume the box is never going to work, then the mobile phone rings.

Phone symbol lights up on the box, stays on for the calls.

Phone shows (2G) full signal during call.

Phone light goes off on box, no other lights on box except power 'as usual'.

Phone now shows 1 bar (2G) again.

So it sort of works

View more options

Hi @datadiffusion 

I really hate to disappoint you but the Sure Signal is 3G only, if you are getting a 2G signal this will be the signal available from the network at your location.

You can try putting your phones on 3G only, this will force the phone to use the Sure Signal.

View more options

Nope it really is working, what I thought was a 2G signal is actually 3G. For reasons unknown my phone does not place a symbol next to the RF bars to differentiate between 2G and 3G, only when it's 4G does '4G' appear next to it. By further restricting the phone to 3G only and using RF Monitor can confirm it is connecting to the box all the time, with the restriction lifted it still connects to the box though only seems to 'prefer' this over the background signal when a call is in progress.

My theory is that the actual 'RF bars' white LED on the box has actually gone faulty, since it now behaves exactly as it should other than that light coming on.

Ultimately Vodafone has a slight edge over O2 in that even with the box powered down I can use the phone in a lot more rooms then I could with O2 - it was previously a nightmare having to go to a window or leave the phone by a window to make sure I could send and recieve texts etc... and also a number of times when it said it had a 1 bar signal but only when you went outside did a flood of historic texts arrive. None of that with Vodafone, box or not. I'm hoping that the next time I upgrade my phone it will not only have a slight edge over my current one RF wise, but will probably support Wifi Calling anyway.

Happy with that outcome

View more options

That's great news @datadiffusion - I'm glad you're up and running 🏃 If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to get back in touch! 

View more options