main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Vodafone Sure Signal

Sure Signal version 3 - no lights at all

2: Seeker

I've had a Version 3 sure signal for about 2 years it has worked brilliantly and I'd thoroughly recommend them.

Until now :-(

All of a sudden, with no warning at all, the thing has gone completely dead. No lights are lit at all. Not even the power light. It says in the trouble shooting guide that "The power light will only ever flash red or be solid red" - well there's a third state - not on at all - and that is the state mine is in.

It isn't the obvious - no power - I'm not so stupid that I didn't check that carefully first.

Power is still running through the device (if you plug it into the mains and then plug something into the plug on the front (eg a laptop power supply) then power is getting through the Sure Signal to the connected device. So it can't be a fuse or anything like that.

Do I just need to accept I've had my usage from this one and buy another one. Somehow I find this hard to accept. It's a £100 device - it ought to be a bit more robust and last a bit longer than 2 years. I've got network switches that have lasted a decade. The sure signal has been plugged in, left alone and has worked pretty flawlessly (there's been the odd twitch after a power outage, but it's always reconnected and settled down after 24 hours). So there's no reason why it should have suddenly given up the ghost.

I would expect something like this to last more than two years.

Can they be repaired - if so where do I send it for repair and who pays?

Can I just send it off to Vodafone and get a replacement FOC?

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. I miss my 3G

View more options
51 REPLIES
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

View more options

I have exactly the same issue and can't see any answers to the questions above in any of the threads. Help anyone please?

View more options

Hi @Bbbrucie 

Please follow the steps we've provided above, so that we can help you further.

Thanks,

Sukhi

View more options
Thanks Sukhi. I have tried all the steps above and spoken to 4 people on live chat/telephone. The upshot is that I now have to take the device to the nearest Vodafone store who will help me I'm told. Thanks for your reply
View more options
Administrator

@Bbbrucie 

We're here to help and have  great success ensuring our Sure Signals are up and running.

Please provide the information because if it's not the Sure Signal at fault, a new one will still have the same issues.

It may be your setup, something as simple as your Ethernet cable or even the options within your router, this can be identified from the information requested.

DaveCD

View more options

Hi,

I have the same issue with my Sure Signal V3. It worked perfectly until recently, but now I have no lights at all (despite it passing through power to another device) or any signal.

The requested data is as follows:

Speed test: download 48.25 Mbps, upload 9.63 Mbps

Ping test: 10ms

IP Address: 86.179.213.146

Serial Number: 40134627138

Traceroute: In attachment

View more options

@LukeRoddick

Welcome to the eForum.

I've checked all the information you've provided and it all seems fine on our end. 

Please try connecting your Sure Signal in another location, such as a friend or family member's house. You’ll need to leave it connected for at least 24 hours.

We'll then be able to determine if the problems are specific to your location and router or with the Sure Signal itself.

View more options

Same problem. Absolutely no lights. Must have been fine last week, so whatever has gone awry happened recently. Have tried powering socket off / on (power is passing through correctly), moving to another socket.

Download Speed 43.76MBps

Upload Speed 10.34 Mbps

Ping 12Ms

Jitter 1Ms

Line Quality B*

IP 109.152.202.118

Trace:

tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 31.55.187.180
5 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms core1-hu0-8-0-1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.176]
6 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms 62.172.103.23
7 10 ms 10 ms 22 ms t2c3-et-3-3-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.238]
8 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 166-49-211-254.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.254]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

View more options
4: Newbie

If there are no lights on the unit ( not even the power light) then it's dead.

no testing or tinkering with your connection will help.

If the unit will still pass power through to the socket then that proves your supply is okay. 

I believe the warranty is only 1 year though

View more options
16: Advanced member

online999 wrote:

I believe the warranty is only 1 year though

The warranty period on the Sure Signal really does need clarifying........

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Warranty-length-on-sure-signal-unit/m-p/1999603#...

Vs.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-Signal-V3-Dead/m-p/2472059#M77274

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@grs2905 - Let us know the serial number of your Sure Signal so we can check it.

View more options

... But, not plugged in at the moment (have removed it to take in to a Vodafone shop). Try on Tuesday.
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@grs2905 - Let us know how you get on after Tuesday.

View more options

Hi

That unit was forst registered on 7th Jan 2014, so over 2 years old.

Thanks

View more options

Took it into the local Vodafone store. They were, I have to say, absolutely USELESS - had absolutely no ideas of any sort. Will plug it in again when I get home and let you test it. But my own suspicion is that the thing is dead.

View more options

Yes, I know how old it is - well out of warranty, for a start. But frankly I think that such an item really should last more than 2 years. Not hugely impressed.

View more options

Ok, it is now plugged in and hooked up to the wireless router. By all means test away.

View more options
Who are you asking to test it
If it's dead there's no testing that's going to change that
You need a new unit
View more options

@grs2905

If you're still seeing no lights at all, this indicates that the Sure Signal will no longer work. 

As it's out of warranty, you can buy a new one online from our website. 

View more options