main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Vodafone Sure Signal

Suresignal V3 - Overheated, Blew Up, Exploded, Hot, Burnt out & Dead with no Lights

2: Seeker

I guess we'll have to contact Trading Standards as you suggest.

Shame to have to do that when all that's needed is a simple "here's your replacement upgraded SureSignal, sorry the old one went pop."

View more options
4: Newbie

See me post on repairing the suresingnal in a safe way so it won't pop again.

Hamid

View more options

Yeah, an external supply was my first thought, but having paid £100 for it in the first place (whereas EE were giving theirs away for free at the time - not sure if they still do), I feel a free replacement is in order to replace a defective product.

View more options

I think the no email reply is normal for VF escalation, i had problems in the past, linked to the escalation then and it took 4 attempts and they received none. in the end it took a complaint (which they ignored) and the second i asked for a deadlock letter so i can go to the ombudsmen, like magic my issue was sorted in that call.

but anyways, here i am again, sent to the escalation and no reply for days yet

View more options

> Yeah, an external supply was my first thought, but having paid £100 for it in the first place (whereas EE were giving theirs away for free at the time - not sure if they still do), I feel a free replacement is in order to replace a defective product.

VF are giving them away for free atm (or were) last month they gave me one and would have gave one to my wife too

View more options

I'm going to give it until the end of the day before I contact them in another way...

View more options
12: Established

Hi folks.

It is a little frustrating after all the information and responses I have put here to see people moaning about lack of support from Vodafone when they have not bothered to contact Trading Standards already. This has been advised many times should have been done before anything else and not used as a last resort 'threat' to Vodafone when they feel they are not getting the responses they want.

TRADING STANDARDS NEED TO BE INFORMED OF EVERY UNIT FAILED to gather evidence REGARDLESS OF REPLACEMENT STATUS and gain a full picture of how many are actually affected.

By not doing so you are not giving the information they need in order to pursue this as currently as it stands "only a few units are affected and this is acceptable". Unfortunately Trading Standards do not know how many units are actually affected and have accepted Vodafone's explanation that it is caused by mains spikes, so unless you tell them about yours, how would they know the bigger picture?

IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY, DO SO ASAP.

How can they force Vodafone to fix an issue if people cannot be bothered to report the failure in the first place. Only with enough reports and evidence of failures can anything be forced on in respect to a recall. When I first contacted them, I was told "this is the first time we have heard of this and there are no other reports" which is surprising when this issue has been ongoing for over three years!!

Again, report your failure to TS and if then you are finding it difficult go back and update them as they also need to know that Vodafone are not keeping to agreements to exchange burnt out units and unless you inform them, how can they put pressure on in order to resolve your issue and those following on behind?

Ensure you keep Trading Standards informed from the outset, not when it becomes hard work with Vodafone as they NEED TO KNOW about each and every unit that has failed...

If you feel you are still getting nowhere with the process after you have informed Trading Standards and had a reposnse here from Vodafone, Google "Hoencamp, Jeroen, Vodafone UK CEO email address" and send him an email directly to explain your frustrations and that you also 'believe the product to be dangerous'.

I cannot post his email here but it is very easy to find...

------------

Hamid...  Although you have a good idea, as is uprating the capicators on the PCB..

Many people on here do not have the experience or knowledge to carry this out this work and therefore it is not recommended and should not be encouraged to be done by anyone other than a qualified electronics engineer as the risks of a modification going "wrong" is significantly higher than a failure of the device itself.

This issue highlighted here is bad design, no ventilation, over heating and possibly incorrect component choice.

Emphasis on putting pressure on Vodafone to admit their failure and rectify it themselves is key, overriding taking a device and modifying it thus leading to potential other dangerous events where there is no redress from Vodafone or any insurance claim for a fire or damage due to unauthorised modifications being carried out on them.

I understand you are offering an alternative but is it not a simple matter of changing a plug, for which for many could be a dangerous exercise.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

View more options

I accept everyting you are saying. For me, it was a simple and safe repair and I was comfortable doing it.

Hamid

View more options

@rahim someone from vodafone tried to phone me on my mobile yesterday, but since my suresignal no longer works, i never got the phonecall.  They left a message and haven't bothered phoning back.

View more options

I got in touch with Vodafone via online chat yesterday, who then phoned me back, tried telling me to switch it off and on again, before putting me through to somebody else, followed by a transfer to a very helpful guy at third line support in the UK.

After a short discussion about the known issue and this forum thread, I sent the unit off to him yesterday and he's going to get it inspected and hopefully send out a new one this week. They even said that they'd credit the cost of the postage to my account, if I emailed the receipt to them

I'll keep you all posted...

Cheers,

Richard

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@stevenhunter - What’s your email reference number (looks like [#1263596])? We’ll check we’ve got it.

If you didn't get a confirmation email, check in your junk folder.

View more options

i dont think the issue is our side regarding no confimation emails, i've sent 3-4 times on multiple occasions and never ever had a return email, in spam folder or anywhere

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@sarahfindlay,

I can see you've spoken with @Mark.

If you have any further queries, please reply to his last email

View more options
Richard..

Who was the advisor that suggested switching off and back on again?

View more options

Just had my sure signal go pop, burning smell and tripped out my electrics in my house. I have opened it up and it is burned to a crisp inside. All the components have fried. Total safety risk.. What can I do

View more options

Hi,

There are some design flaws with this device. The fuse has been incorrectly selected and will not protect the device and will cause the plasma explosion you have witnessed.

Please retain your unit and contact Radio 4 You and Yours https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qps9/contact  telephone 0161 836 1346  email  is youandyours then with the usual at sign bbc.co.uk please send full details including pictures and dates.

Thanks

View more options
gsmsecure... Didn't spend enough time on the phone with him to find out I'm afraid! Anyway, got a new one in the post after sending the old one back to TSS and all is good
View more options
And have you reported it to Trading Standards to help those behind you?

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@gingertech - I've replied to your other post, check there so we can help further.

View more options
3: Seeker

I have spent the last few days troubleshooting home/office network faults, Sky Router intermittantly failing on LAN ports, Lexmark Printer (c746), SkyBox and PCs failing on network connections.  Wireless connectivity is not affected.

My Netgear Switch and backup NAS are funtioning fine. 

My SureSignal is dead, on opening it up, the power supply has browning on it which to me mean it had overheated.  I strongly suspect that this has caused a surge across the network cables.

It was on a UPS along with the other equipment so would not have been subjected to power fluctuations as mentioned in the earlier posts and also had plenty of air circulation.

A new Router is on its way once installed I will be able to find out whether the Printer, SkyBox and PCs are damaged too as they need a stable internet connection to function normally.

If Vodafone are replacing these burnt out units free of charge, are they admiting responsibility and if so are they going to recompense customers for loss of connected equipment and their reinstatement to full health?

View more options