cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Suresignal not working for talkmobile / other providers who use Vfone networks in the background

harrybo12
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

This whole business of  'Suresignal not working for talkmobile / other providers who use Vfone networks in the background' stinks!!

After all the cheek of vodafone asking me to pay for a suresignal box as they cant even provide basic signal strength to someone who lives in the middle of london (and not some remote countryside)... i still can't use the damn thing to register my other nos

Talkmobile says nothing to do with them as vodafone runs the n/w and if they are lousy with their signal, it's not their problem.

It's clearly wrong and misleading by talkmobile and vodafone to advertise excellent coverage when it's rubbish....Can i just complain to office of fair trading or is there a specific consumer forum for such issues...any ideas?

19 REPLIES 19

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

There are always blackspots with any network, for a number of reasons, geography, geology, buildings and materials, etc. at least voda are doing something about it sith the SS, it looks like no other provder can be bothered,

As for Talkmobile, they pay for access to the voda network, they have nothing to do with the sure signal, not contributing to the cost of its development or roll out, so they don't get access to the service, same as any other UK network.

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

Lived with O2 in the same house, no issues...vodafone needs to increase their strength or atleast update their coverage checker which is misleading customers..i'm stuck with a 2 yr contract, thanks to them.

If talkmobile is given access to their network, then vodafone needs to ensure it offers the workarounds for it's limitations too...eitherways, users are getting stuck with no coverage. 

Thanks for stcking up for them though, appreciate it. 

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there harrybo12,

Many thanks for your post.

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee signal in any place in the UK because of the nature of the mobile network and as SynthFG says, there are other factors that we have to take into consideration, such as building materials used and geographical features.

Because you are not billed by Vodafone, and don't have access to our MyAccount online billing system, there's no way for a user of a third party network or MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator), such as ASDA or Talk Mobile, to be able to register and manage their Sure Signal.

If we were to take a look at your number at network level it wouldn't show as a Vodafone number. You're not billed by us so we don't have access to your account and we are also not able to sell you any of our products and services with a guarantee that they will work.

On the network side of things, I've taken a look at your profile postcode and the majority of your street shows as having marginal coverage. The site that serves your area is just to the North at the railway station and its referenced 3117. There are no threads on the Faults Board for this area and I've checked into any open cases and can't find anything related to that site. 

Does signal improve during different times of the day or is it always a challenge for you?

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Well, as the story goes, i have two connections... one a vodafone contract worth 45quid which i signed up after checking your esteemed (%^&%*)  coverage checker which promptly said it's good.

Then u guys ask me to spend 50quid on suresignal for your network's shortcomings....and then we need a second phone, so we signed up for a one with talkmobile purely because they said it's vodafone n/w and i already have the setup to deal with signal loss and they were cheaper to offset my current cost. 

And now we are getting the runaround. thanks to some smart people at suresignal blocking adding numbers which genuinely use the vodafone network.

As for suresignal it does not even manage the fact that when i move the back of the house (where the suresignal box is) to the front room, it drops the call as it's switching over ???

And what adds insult to injury,  u throw the contract book at me when i say, just take the phone back and let me go somewhere else...

If i'm supposed to hold up my end of the deal... who is on your end ???? (esp after misleading your customers on the coverage tool)

Outdoors and indoors, you can expect to be able to make and receive calls, and send and receive texts.

Calls Text coverageGood IndoorsFuture Coverage
See what this means to you

Outdoors and indoors, you can expect to be able to make and receive calls, and send and receive texts.

that's what the coverage checker says when i punch in my postcode...so what coverage checker are u looking at Lee? 

Hi again harrybo12,

Many thanks for updating the thread.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I was looking at 3G coverage since you were asking about Sure Signal. I also had a look at 2G and the coverage for 2G should be great. 

Again, there are no threads about the site that serves your area for 2G (32042) and calls and data are being handled perfectly. Have you tried switching to 2G only? If you're not sure how to do this, head over to our Devices Help Centre and find your device. Go to 'Network' and then 'How do I switch to GSM only?' for the exact procedure.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

i have an iphone 4...no reference on those links about 2g switching (if u referring to just switching 3g off) ...will try that tonite. 

still i fail to understand why would vodafone prevent users using their network to use the workaround they have setup to overcome a limitation in their network? it is unethical if not illegal.. you will just kill these virtual operators off (after making a quick buck from them)??? not forgetting it's end users like us who bear the whole brunt of your business practices

Hello there

To be honest the sure signal description, vodaphone and talkmobile's advertising gives the clear impression talkmobile will work.

Reading up on it and the above posts, the Sure Signal device creates a 3G signal for those on the vodaphone network. Talkmobile is on the vodaphone network. It's mentioned above in this thread you need a vodaphone number etc to be able to register the device and such, well that's still not the full picture.

I have a vodaphone mobile number which is on the vodaphone network, vodaphone sim... everything coloured vodaphone. I have a sure signal device, which is set up and working. I registered it, which took some time but now it's all set up, creating a full bar of 3G signal on my vodaphone mobile.

I attempted to add two futher numbers that use the vodaphone network (which are under talkmobile) and the sure signal website validation will not allow it. I have purchased the vodaphone box. Have a subscription with vodaphone for my vodaphone boxes... and vodaphone get paid by talkmobile for using their network - yet some validation prevents me from using all my vodaphone network phones (like talkmobile) on the sure signal device.

Further more, every bit of advertising I found and was told before I ordered the equipment (as this is a corporate account) I was advised that "anything on the vodaphone network will work". I can now only assume they mean any device such as a tablet, dongle, mobile and not anything that actually works on the network, like a talkmobile device.