main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Vodafone Sure Signal

Unable to register Sure Signal device

Highlighted
2: Seeker

Device is registered with a previous user and I am unable to register it for my number.
Please can you de-register this at vodafone site.  I have the serial number ready.

1. Error msg:  Sorry, there seems to be a problem.  We're working hard to fix the issue, so please try again later.: 500, 1013 - [Error ref 1w0] 

2.  Same error every time I try to register the Sure Signal device

3.  Using Windows 10 PC

4.  Using Chrome browser.

View more options
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
17: Community Champion

Hi @Andrew1961 

The problem here is having to go back to the seller, due to GDPR data protection the instruction will will need to come from the customer who originally registered the Sure Signal to an account.  If this is not possible, you will be unable to register the devide to your account.

Vodafone stopped selling the Sure Signal at the beginning of April this years and are not promoting WiFi calling.  Details here Sure Signal 

View more options
Highlighted

Sorry, but this is not right.

1.  There is no GDPR issue as there is no personal data associated with my request to de-register this device.  I own the serial number and this is all they need.  Besides, the previous owner is no longer a vodafone customer.

2.  There has been no notification of a withdrawal of support for Sure Signal devices so I would expect my request to be answered promptly.

3.  The vodafone signal where I have recently moved to is very weak, although on the Vodafone signal map it shows as strong. 

4.  Wifi calling is not available on Pay as you Go, which is disgraceful bearing in mind the weak signal they offer around the country.

I will continue through the helpdesk to get a sensible response. 

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @Andrew1961 

You don't own the serial number that is already owned by the original owner who had the device registeed to their online account.  

If you have purchased a second hand Sure Signal the seller should have deregistered the device before selling it on, otherwise the seller should have known it would be useless to you and impossible to register to your own account. Even though no longer a customer, this is easily done by just contacting the network and making the request.

The only way you are going to be able to register the device is by contacting the seller and asking them to contact Customer Services who will have no problem removing the device form the original account.

As far as you network issues are concerned, this is something that Vodafone will be able to look at.  The best way to get this done is by following this link for self help.  There is a pro forma you can complete giving an example of the signal issues you are experiencing.  Network Issues 

View more options
Highlighted

Sorry but your information is just wrong.  If you are an employee I would suggest you refer this issue to the support team.  The serial number refers to the device itself and I am now the new owner.  Vodafone register the device using the serial number and can easily de-register it, regardless of whether the customer requests it.  I know this because I have just spoken with the helpdesk who has just done exactly that.  

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @Andrew1961 

Have Vodafone Customer services de registered the Sure Signal from the original owner and then re registered it to you may I ask ?

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui 2.1  / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

Yes, they have 'de-registered' it, but because it has been 'inactive' for a long time they say it cannot now be re-activated.  This is a policy decision not a technical one... so I have raised a customer complaint.

If that fails, I will raise a more general complaint with ofcom because they are neither fixing weak signal areas, nor providing low cost solutions to their customers.  

Can you believe they even suggested I switch my phone into 2G mode if the signal was so bad... incredible!

View more options
Highlighted

This has always been the policy with Vodafone and Sure Signal devices. Once they been de-activated they are dead and cannot be used again. I have no idea of this is a technical issue or a policy but it has always been thus, and you won't get them to change their policy.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
Highlighted

Hey @Andrew1961 

I'm quite surprised the agent de registered it for you as they don't usually to safeguard the ownership of the SS.

Yes this is written into the Sure Signal Terms and Conditions.

If unused for 3 months it has a temporary bar.

If 12+ months they remove it permanently from the network.

This is their business decision.

I can understand the 2G suggestion as in most cases it could give a more stable call connection.

I do understand that there are not-spots and fringe coverage areas.

This is the same with all the networks unfortunately. 

Now Vodafone have discontinued the Sure Signal so are not selling them at all.

It's not for me to tell you how to proceed in regards to outside agencies so I'll leave that up to you.

If this was my situation if I'd paid someone for the SS then I would start proceeding to ask to return for a refund.

I appreciate the original seller may not know about Vodafone's policy.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

Ok, looks like I'm going to be busy making complaints about:

1.  The whole of our area does not come anywhere near the signal coverage stated by the signal map.

2.  Vodafone have not made it clear that they are phasing out Sure Signals, leading to lts of people buying unusable items on ebay every day.  There is no reference on the Account pages under Sure Signal. 

3.  Vodafone are not replacing signal boosting technology in a like-for-like fashion impacting the poorest people the most.

As a positive suggestion, why not add Wifi calling to Sim Only Pay as you Go as a bundle option?

View more options
Highlighted

I agree adding Calling Over Wi-Fi to Payg would be a positive move @Andrew1961 

May I offer some information to the points you raise taking into consideration I'm a fellow customer like you with no affiliation to Vodafone apart from being a customer.

1.  From the Signal Coverage Status Checker > Coverage may vary by location. This map shows a computer generated prediction in a given area. It should be used as a guide only and is not a guarantee of actual signal coverage. "As with all radio-based systems, service may be affected by a number of local factors, such as building materials, tree cover and even weather conditions. Data reception or speed may not be as good indoors or in a car. "

2. From vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/sure-signal  "Sure Signal is no longer available to buy. "

It would be reasonable to not expect Vodafone to be able to take control over what owners then do with their SS when they've finished with them or no longer need them.

As far as I believe if a person has a SS that's under warranty then they'll still replace it. However they do not sell new units anymore.

The Terms on non usage we've discussed.

3. The Sure Signal v1 , v2 , v3 are old technology which only works on 3G which is why i think they are moving to Calling Over Wi-Fi as a newer technology.

However I agree currently for Payg Customers this isn't going to help.

I hope you don't mind me engaging with you over your conundrum.

Please do let us know how you get on.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

Thanks for helping out here, although from your comments it does rather seem you might be on the payroll in some way.  

1.  Being in the year 2020 and lots of talk about 5G, don't you think it odd that a comms company is encouraging me to switch to 2G?  

2.  What then is the point of a coverage checker iwhen it promises a full four bar reception and very rarely do I see even one bar flash up in a 3 square mile block.  It's not even good as a guide.

3.  Appart from the banner stating SS is unavailable to buy, wouldn't you expect a communications company to do a little better than that about how they are migrating to new services?  Knowing full well that there is quite a healthy second hand market for these devices due to such poor coverage across many rural areas of the UK.

My mother is 94 and on a state pension.  Switching to the cheapest £11 per month contract just for the privilege of using the vodafone network to receive one or two weekly calls from the family is simply not worth it.  I guess we will have to teach her how to use an Amazon Alexa device instead.  

View more options
Highlighted
It’s ages since I was accused of being a Vodafone employee. Just like old times. For the record VF employees are easy to identify. The rest of us are customers just like you.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
Highlighted

Hi @Andrew1961 

Sorry for my late reply as I had an early night :Smiling:

1.  5G is still very much in it's infancy and expect it to be a year or so before it comes into it's own. I bought a 5G phone to future proof my purchase. 5G gives good download speeds if a person is near a 5G module but at the moment does not improve my surfing speed so I'm not fussed right now. Just my personal opinion.

As I mentioned 2G has been a good avenue to use for quite a while. I appreciate it's somewhat of a backwards step but it genuinely helps.

It's also the same when we sometimes advise a person to turn Off 4G when using a Sure Signal so the SS recognises it better.

2. The Vodafone Coverage Checker is in place to give an indication and also to help a person troubleshoot if signal and speeds are being affected as it shows up any known mast issues for both local and surrounding.

When I'm engaging with a person interested in moving networks or moving home I always suggest to check that site and to use a Payg Sim Card where they live, work and commute to get a true user experience.

3. To be honest I think people when having signal problems due to not-spots or fringe coverage they Google Search and find the Sure Signal Vodafone page or come here and find about the Sure Signal and the recent changes.

In regards to rural settings.

newscentre.vodafone.co.uk/news/srn-landmark-agreement-major-boost-rural-mobile-coverage. 

I appreciate £11 is a pretty good contractual tariff but for such little usage as you have indicated Payg1 may have been a better solution.

And to end nope I'm not a Vodafone employee in any way shape or form.

I'm a customer just like you.

I'm a Community Champion due to being here for quite a while spending my personal time helping and as importantly learning too :Winking_smiley:

Vodafone Social Media Teams can be identified via the Badge under their full name.

You'll notice I use a Forum Username.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

View more options
Highlighted

I will put this straight for you @Andrew1961 I do not work for Vodafone and neither do I appreciate you accusing me of not giving a sensible answer.  

In your first post you mentioned the device was still registered with the previous owner.  You then changed this to say that Customer Services deregistered the device without any contact with the previous user.

Social Media Team if Customer Services have accessed the account of the previous user without consent that puts Vodafone in breech of data protection. 

edited to add:  If you have been sold a device that has been removed from the network, that will be between you and the seller, you need to go back to the seller and ask for the return of your money.

The next time you purchase a second hand device you need to make sure it has been deregistered before sale and is still active on the network.

View more options