Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VSS1 in constant loop

Landshark2007
6: Helper
6: Helper
Last Saturday I noticed that all phones and iPads had no signal from Vodafone at home. Checking the VSS1 the LEDs were cycling through the following pattern:

Power: steady on
@: flashes steadily,
LED 3: OFF
LED 4: flashes steadily with LED 2 for a brief time

Then, all LEDs flash quickly before the whole loop starts again.

This was installed in March 2010 since when it has been left alone on its high position. It is on an uninterruptible power supply with all power protection. It is also picking up an internal IP address from the router. The external IP address is static from BT.

Current broadband speed is 6M download and 350k upload (what it is normally).
S/n: 21221965334

With no VSS, we have no phones here at all and no alternatives. Please advise URGENTLY a what has gone wrong.
Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi Landshark2007,

Looking at your symptoms, I would highly suspect the power supply at fault, but replacement is about the only way to prove it.

My SS was installed 1 month before yours in Feb 2010, and just before Christmas 2014 decided to give exactly the same symptoms as yours.

Head scratching time for a couple of weeks because the unit appeared to be operating normally until it tried to lock on to the VF servers on the 4th. light,  it then started the boot all over again. (The power light appeared normal at all times). I then came across this thread............  http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-signal-V1-not-connecting/m-p/1995879#M55384 .......  I  conjured up a  similar power supply from my garage, to my amazement the SS logged on and has remained perfectly stable ever since.

My conclusion is that the SS is at it's most power hungry state when it actually logs on to the VF server and if the power supply isn't up to scratch due to failing capacitors etc. it just won't connect.

After all, 5 years of continuous use is good for a standard commercial power supply.

Good Luck.

Mike.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

cineriv

Hi Landshark2007,

Looking at your symptoms, I would highly suspect the power supply at fault, but replacement is about the only way to prove it.

My SS was installed 1 month before yours in Feb 2010, and just before Christmas 2014 decided to give exactly the same symptoms as yours.

Head scratching time for a couple of weeks because the unit appeared to be operating normally until it tried to lock on to the VF servers on the 4th. light,  it then started the boot all over again. (The power light appeared normal at all times). I then came across this thread............  http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Sure-signal-V1-not-connecting/m-p/1995879#M55384 .......  I  conjured up a  similar power supply from my garage, to my amazement the SS logged on and has remained perfectly stable ever since.

My conclusion is that the SS is at it's most power hungry state when it actually logs on to the VF server and if the power supply isn't up to scratch due to failing capacitors etc. it just won't connect.

After all, 5 years of continuous use is good for a standard commercial power supply.

Good Luck.

Mike.

Many thanks Mike. I think you are right. Unfortunately I do not have another PSU to try this out with, but when I tested the output with no load, it was barely able to make 12v and the current drain was FUBARd as soon as it started to look for network services. Now got to try to source a 12v 1.5a PSU. Not as easy as you may think!
Wherever I lay my '@', that's my 'ome.

No Maplins near you??

The genuine power supplies are readily available on Amazon for about £10 delivered, or there are some on ebay.

Regards Mike.

Can't believe I just found this solution. My Sure Signal V1 has not worked for well over a year. Stuck in constant loop of green lights. Read this thread and went looking for a similar cable. Found one from an old external hard drive, 12V 2A. Plugged it in and hey presto, within two minutes box came back to life. So any of you with these symptoms, go get a new power supply.

I am amazed, just saved myself £100.

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

I got my VSS v1 Feb 2010 and like so many others it just stopped working a couple of weeks before Christmas 14. I am truly lost without it as I have zero signal where I live. I tried master resets left it on for days but still no joy. The unit would attempt to set itself to three steady lights but just as you thought it would do so it would start the process all over again.

I spoke to vodafone and the tech dept sent me a configuration email to show my network provider... but I had a gut feeling that this was not the issue so searched on the net to establish if this was a common issue or an isolated one.

I came across these forums and fortunately (in a sense) discovered a few people experiencing the exact same symptons. I like most, was unwilling to fork out a £100 for a new box, and then I saw someone had written "try getting hold of a new power unit". I was really sceptical as I thought if the power unit had failed you would not get any kind of connection whatsoever. However with my options limited I went to Maplins and bought a new power supply and guess what - The sure signal is working perfectly... I cannot state how grateful and pleased I am and want to thank the user who suggested this course of action.

Power Units of this age must be suffer from some type of part failure... So I urge you all not to tinker with settings but to try a new power unit as first port of call. Maplins even said if it doesnt work they would refund my money. So nothing to lose.

If vodafone could let their tech team know that this is one potential solution, when people phone in they can be advised to try the same..

Just delighted with the solution!

cineriv

Hi Neilby,

That's goood to hear,

Athough the Maplin PSU  was easily available and proved the point, I would strongly suggest that you obtain the the correct unit to retain it's operating and safety credentials.

They are readily available from Amazon or Ebay for around £10.

But it's great to see someone else saving a £100   :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response... Yes I will... Could you send me the amazon link for the correct unit?

That would be much appreciated.

Cheers

:smileyhappy:

Neil.

I would have thought any charger with same specifications would suffice, probably better avoiding another Sagem item. I am using a 12 volt, 1.5 amp charger from another piece of electronic equipment. However, as I am not a qualified electronics professional, I'll not suggest you use anything other than an original item.

Hiya,

I am currently using the one from Maplins but it did cost £19.99... so far so good. In fact it is not overheating. I use to find the original Sagem unit use to get quite hot. But Mike has recommended using the original kit so I guess it is down to what makes you comfortable.

Good luck,

Neil.