Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Yet another SureSignal explodes

cpearmain
3: Seeker

Here's a photo of my Sure Signal 3 that exploded a while ago when 1 month out of "warranty". The failure was announced by a loud bang, a flash and the tripping of the power circuit.

This mode of failure is well documented in this forum and Vodafone has a statutory liability for faulty products for 6 years after the date of purchase. I was promised a call back from Vodafone but have heard nothing. So what's happening Vodafone?

Sure Signal Small.jpg

24 REPLIES 24

cpearmain
Sorry to hear that you experienced this too. Yours sounds as though it is within warranty so you should receive a replacement without a problem. I did finally receive a replacement (though I had to make a huge fuss all over the Internet) and, at Vodafone's request sent the remnants of the old one back for 'appraisal' but haven't heard anything. I'm reluctant to use the same model of Suresignal but with no Vodafone signal here and nearly a year to run on my contract, I'm stuck with it.

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@cpearmain there are a handful of v1 and v2's for sale on a popular online auction site if you really don't want to use the v3 :smileywink:

RichPea
I bought it in March 2013, found the receipt. So it's nearly 2 years old - think the warranty is only a year? If I have any problems, I'm hoping it's a story Watchdog will be interested in!

Here's a photo of mine. 

Nabs

@RichPea Looks like exactly the same result as @cpearmain's image show. It's going to be the same issue i'd guess

Ok, so I went to Vodafone shop.  They said as its outside 12 months, they can't deal with it but I can use store phone to ring customer services, which I did.  

At at this point, I noticed I bought the box in March 2013 and that we're now in 2016 so it's nearly 3 years old not two.  They told me their warranty is only 2 years and that after that I need to go back to the manufacturer, not the retailer. That would be Alcatel. 

Not on sure if that's right! Haven't had chance to research it yet. 

I went through all of this. European liability laws mean that suppliers are liable for PRODUCTS THAT ARE FAULTY AT THE TIME OF SALE for a period of 6 years.  So if the design is faulty or they use faulty components there is a liability for those faults. The get-out is though, that the consumer can be asked to PROVE that there was a fault at the time of manufacture.

My argument was that, as the unit is sealed and as users can't make any changes to it's physical or soft configuration, the fault MUST have existed at the time of manufacture as it, and obviously others, had failed long before they should reasonably be expected to. As I had purchased the unit from Vodafone my contract was with them and NOT the manufacturer thus it was THEM that I pursued.

Now I don't know how this would work out if it got to a court - I certainly couldn't afford to test it - but if Vodafone are intransigent try posting  photos of your failed unit on social media sites where they have a presence. I also submitted a product complaint form to Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice bureau; if they receive others they my take action. I guess it is all down to how much of a PITA you're prepared to make youself before the adverse publicity outweighs the minimal cost of providing you with a replacement!    

cpearmain
These Suresignal units carry a 2 year warranty so you should be OK - let's hope so!

gingertech
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just had mine go pop too.  Got very hot... burning smell, blew the fuse in the extension lead i was using and tripped my MCD on the consumer unit... Black burnt residue all over the insides.. Only thing is I can't find the receipt... It is only 2 years old.

@gingertech - I've sent you a private message so we can get in touch.