Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Failure login to vodafone account due to java.lang.StackOverflowError

Wolfman999
2: Seeker

Tried to access my Vodafone account today but cannot get past entering the security code.  Upon entering the code and submitting it, this error message pops up. ! java.lang.StackOverflowError   ADF_FACES-60097: Server Exception during PPR, #326 (see attached).  Having checked the forum this problem has been communicated to Vodafone nearly 2 months ago (16.09.2017) yet it would seem they have done nothing about it.  The problem imco is a serverside problem given it strikes no matter which browser one uses (IE or Firefox).  Does anybody know of a workaround or, better still know of a solution?

23 REPLIES 23

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Wolfman999 If you're still experiencing issues when trying an alternative browser, and after clearing your cache and cookies, I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team directly.

We'll then be in touch to help.

TerryTzzz

I had exactly the same problem on 6 Nov 2017 (PPR no may have been different).  We tried 3 different browsers on two PCs.

I phoned customer support on 191.  They wanted me to clear my browser history which I resisted due to knock on effects but eventually did it on Firefox.  Made no difference.  They tried sending me a new password which resulted in username (e-mail address) and password being unrecognized. Cust Serv promised to resolve or at least be in contact again in 5 working days

Waited until 14 Nov around 16.30.  Nothing.  Tried account again with new password - same - Username and account still not recognized.

Called Cust Sev on 191 again. Spoke to Gina.  Resets password again.  This time I got further to reset password screen which said "service not available - please try later".  Discovered  I could get past this and entered the texted code but then gott the same error as last week  (PPR #210).   

My wife tried with her Vodafone account - exactly the same error. 

But she discovered that by clicking "my account" she could get past the error and into her account.  Mine worked the same. Some actions in the account have brought the same error as before but I can't reproduce them 

Successfully changed password from temporary one sent by Vodaphone (not with standing same error messages again)

Throughout this Gina rang off and called back as promised twice after about 15 mins.

Last suggestion by Gina from techies was to re-register the account with same username. I asked her to stay on.  Got as far as confirming that she meant going to "Register for my Vodafone"  before she said she was going to ring off and call me back. She didn't.  Not surprising re-registering didn't work - "number already register to another account". 

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We'd like to take a closer look into this for you @TerryTzzz.

I've sent you a private message - please follow the details provided and a member of our team will be in touch to help you further.

Hello. I have the same problem described in the OP. It's the same no matter what browser I use. 

Can you help me please?  

There is a workaround described in various forms several times above – but all basically the same

• Me on 14-11-17
  • Annie on 11-12-17 (with screen shots)
  • Me on 07-01-18 (about usage).

I wouldn’t recommend calling the Vodafone help desk.  They will ask you to clear your browser history and reset your password.  As described several times above this has no effect (apart from loosing all the valuable data in your browser history).  Vodafone should be well aware of this but don’t seem to be.  In January, not for the first time I was asked to do this by e-mail.  I did.  Noting exactly what happened in screenshots and sending a lengthy file back by e-mail.

The only result was that I was asked to try again a few days later by another customer service person.  This loop repeated yet again some days later.  Vodafone seem to be stuck in some sort of groundhog day trying to disprove the (mis?)quote attributed to Einstein (“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”). 

Each Vodafone customer service request is in the form “to help you with your problem....”.  As it says above, this is a frustration and irritiation for us not a problem, we know how to work around it.  Vodafone are the one’s whose website can’t provide simple functionality without falling over.    

You can either use the work-around mentioned by TerryTzzz as described in prior posts on this thread, or you can register a complaint with Vodafone's CEO, Mr Nick Jeffery.

E-mail: nick.jeffery at vodafone.com

or: Directorscomplaints at help.vodafone.co.uk

I can only suggest everybody hitting the same brick wall wrt this problem to do the  same. Hopefully, there will be enough e-mails eventually hitting Mr Jeffery's inbox thus gaining the critical mass required for Vodafone to get the finger out and do something to fix the problem instead of fobbing customers off ("this is an isolated problem and the first time we've learned about this") or wearing customers down by asking loads of irrelevant and inconsequential questions ("we need your account number; your date of birth; your address etc. etc. before we can look into this for you").

E-mail: nick.jeffery at vodafone.com

or: Directorscomplaints at help.vodafone.co.uk

I have the same problem.2017-11-19.png

I have the same problem. I have tried it on another computer with different browsers (Edge and Internet Explorer), cleared browsing history. Anyone received a response that actually fixes the problem

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for providing us with a screenshot @rayinbenfleet.

So we can take a look into this further for you, I've sent you a private message with details to get in touch with our team.

Same problem here. The workaround using LHS links does work but not if you want to access your useage.

Is there a way to access useage.

Would be nice if the whole page worked correctly.

Could Vodafone post the fix rather than requiring a private message?

Thanks in advance.