cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to avoid charges for Long Text Messages?

Icksieray
2: Seeker
I have a Nokia 1520 and keep getting charged for sending the odd text message because, as I have been told by Vodafone, when a text message is over 160 characters, my phone automatically converts it to a Photo Message, which are not inclusive under the terms of my contract. Vodafone have also told me they do not charge for text messages above this conversion limit but to stop them from converting to Photo Messages and thus incurring a charge I have to change settings on my phone. Strangely, Vodafone say they cannot tell me how to do this and have suggested I post a request for instruction via this forum, so here I am, asking for help with this problem. - Please!
33 REPLIES 33

Icksieray
Nothing shows with regards to a counter at any point, had to send a long text only a couple of days ago and as that was after I had been on to Vodafone about this by phone earlier I watch for any sort of warning or character counter and there was nothing. The acknowledgement of delivery refers to a message as sent, being received or if it cannot be sent at that time.

Other Vodafone customers have told me the same thing is happening on their Nokia phone's of varying models and they are being charged likewise!

Though I bought my phone via CFW, all factory setting's are the same it appears, though Vodafone Branded Phones, may be set differently, but branding does not appear to apply on the more expensive phones.

I feel, if I am being wrongly charge via any Service Supplier, then it is they who are legally bound to find the reason and correct it or at least, inform me how to correct it.

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)

You are sending MMS messages from your handset and being charged as such.

Voda will and can only accept responsibility for handsets provded directly by them 

As carphone warehouse doesn't source it's handsets from Voda, voda are not responsible for the handset misbehaving.

Anyone can offer suggestions on this forum, but it's a bit of a puzzler, as to what's going on with your handset

Another thought is can you confirm the sms centre number (settings / messaging)

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

Icksieray

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Icksieray,

I can confirm that this is our message centre number.

Many thanks, Ben

Icksieray
So what is it that makes my phone in particular, convert >160 character Text Messages into Photo Messages?

SynthFG

@Icksieray wrote:
So what is it that makes my phone in particular, convert >160 character Text Messages into Photo Messages?

TBH I'm stumped

It shouldn't, unless you are replying to multiple persons (and have the group text convert option on), are including non text charicters or media, or are sending a vLong (more than 5 standard messages in length) message.

Best advice is to take it to a repair centre and let them take a look 

One last wild idea, have you in the past had an iPhone, and or, does the person you are sending to have an iPhone

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

Icksieray
I do have a decommissioned iPhone 3s which I still keep on Wifi to my Router, but only really use it an a Radio. There is now, no Phone/Text capability to this iPhone though.

Some of the long messages have been sent at least, to a known iPhone, but certainly not all of them.

I had made some changes to the settings I think, before I sent quite a long text a couple of days ago. I will check to see if this message has been entered on to my bill to date and if so, will get back to you to tell you if it has been registered as a straight text or charged as a Photo Message

Raymond

Icksieray
Re: Previous reply, have now checked my Vodafone Account online for usage to-date and can confirm the long message I sent on Tuesday at 13:09 was indeed, sent as 7 Separate Text Messages, none of which have been charged for!

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Interestingly, I managed to send a long sms on an Android device recently. There used to be a specific setting to split long messages, but it seems to have gone.

Icksieray
The only alterations prior to sending the last long message on Tuesday, was to shut off, in Message Settings, all other MMS Toggles, other than Group Messages, which was already off. So, unless this is a flook, or Vodafone Accounts, have done something since I complained to them and I agree, it was, bitterly, or the only time, but I don't believe it to be the case, is it may have happened, is if a long message was sent to more than one person. This I will check as soon as I next send a long message, to more than one person! So many thanks, it would appear, this part of my recent beef to Vodafone, is now, at last sorted! - Raymond